Wifi Camera goes off line; requires wired LAN connection to reset wireless-

insight3fl

n3wb
Reaction score
New to the forum here. Just installed an outdoor PTZ wireless camera (HooToo HT-IP008HDP) that works fine for about a week or so then goes off line and will not connect through wifi. I assume every wifi cam requires you to run your CAT 5 cable back to the camera from the router to set up the wifi (WPS with password) since there are no "controls" on the camera to interact directly with wifi?

This is a huge PITA except that I did mount it close to the front door, and made the connections accessible in a covered electrical box and my 50 foot cable reaches the router I the office easily. Is there any other way to reconnect it without running the hard wire each time?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New to the forum here. Just installed an outdoor PTZ wireless camera (HooToo HT-IP008HDP) that works fine for about a week or so then goes off line and will not connect through wifi. I assume every wifi cam requires you to run your CAT 5 cable back to the camera from the router to set up the wifi (WPS with password) since there are no "controls" on the camera to interact directly with wifi?

This is a huge PITA except that I did mount it close to the front door, and made the connections accessible in a covered electrical box and my 50 foot cable reaches the router I the office easily. Is there any other way to reconnect it without running the hard wire each time?

Thanks
The ip address is likely changing, you need to set the camera to a fixed internal ip address....use your routers dhcp reservation.

insight3fl

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I have not messed with doing that yet. It seems to fluctuate from xxx.xxx.x.114 to xxx.xxx.x.116

But the question, is there any other way to communicate with the camera when it goes off line (assuming the IP has changed) other than hard wired? I am using Blue Iris for control.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I have not messed with doing that yet. It seems to fluctuate from xxx.xxx.x.114 to xxx.xxx.x.116

But the question, is there any other way to communicate with the camera when it goes off line (assuming the IP has changed) other than hard wired? I am using Blue Iris for control.
yes, you can use an ip scanner tool to find the correct ip....your camera should come with one or use http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/index1.php?utm_expid=62919999-14.Cr_MP2nHRIqk-1pmkBGelw.1&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

insight3fl

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again. So, the camera firmware remembers the wifi setup (password etc) even when it goes off line. It is just a matter of finding the correct IP for the camera at that point and connecting again via Wifi? And BTW, I did do the dhcp reservation and assigned that static IP to the camera. Hopefully it will stay connected or reconnect automatically if there is a power interruption or other shut down issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again. So, the camera firmware remembers the wifi setup (password etc) even when it goes off line. It is just a matter of finding the correct IP for the camera at that point and connecting again via Wifi? And BTW, I did do the dhcp reservation and assigned that static IP to the camera. Hopefully it will stay connected or reconnect automatically if there is a power interruption or other shut down issue.
Yes, it remembers everything...With dhcp reservation, remember that the wifi mac address is different than the wired mac address...

insight3fl

n3wb
Reaction score
OK.... have done the dhcp reservation. However, this HooToo camera still drops connection every few days and in order to "find" it, I have to cycle the power on and off. I don't have to hook the LAN cable up again, but until I put a remote switch to the obscure power connection, it was a pain to cycle the power. Any suggestions on how to stop it from going off line and requiring a power cycle?
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK.... have done the dhcp reservation. However, this HooToo camera still drops connection every few days and in order to "find" it, I have to cycle the power on and off. I don't have to hook the LAN cable up again, but until I put a remote switch to the obscure power connection, it was a pain to cycle the power. Any suggestions on how to stop it from going off line and requiring a power cycle?
Thanks
Sounds like a defective camera... See if there is a firmware update.. May also be your Wifi... Wifi is a poor choice for security cameras..

Sent via Taptalk

rebelbah

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks
I know its been a while but did you check if there was a firmware update for this camera