"wifi camera" - IP or not?

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Greetings.
I'm looking at this "wifi camera" on ebay
4K Hidden WIFI Camera Spy Cam DIY Full HD 1080P Security Camera Motion Detector | eBay
It is offered by many sellers - just put "4k DIY wifi camera" in the search form.

The chipset is NOVATEK NT96660. I looked it up and can see that it comes from an action cam - so this is effectively an action cam sans the casing. But I don't own an action cam, and I'm actually looking for a camera that can be connected to Blue Iris. Somehow, this camera has a connector for a wifi antenna.
It says on the page that there is an "app" to view the video feed - but as I said above, I intend to pair it with Blue Iris - and the seller is unable to provide any guidance on how to receive the signal on a regular computer.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the tip off - I'll look it up.
I know, it's junk - but I'm looking for a pinhole IP cam, and this is the closest I've found so far.

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, to make sure, we're on the same page, I'm not even sure that the ebay item is an IP camera - it is some kind of a "wifi" cam. So, I have no idea whether it can be paired with a regular computer that doesn't have the "app".
Would be useful to hear from someone who knows the chipset in question.

Reaction score
Devices on a WIFI network have IPs. A WIFI camera should have an IP.

I know this is an old thread, but for anybody with the same question, i added 2 more cents. I can't count how many times i've run across an old thread that i wished someone would have added a bit more info :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Old threads... Read the date time stamp at the bottom of each post.

The thread started July 27, 2018

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many, if not most, of these types as pictured in your eBay link are 'P2P' cams meaning you install an app on your smartphone, scan a QR code and view the cam on your smartphone via offshore servers, usually in China....not my cup of tea.

Also, you don't see mention of 'ONVIF' or 'RTSP' which would be needed in order to work with Blue Iris and most other VMS solutions.
The following link gives insight into a similar but larger mini IP cam that IS compatible with BI and will display a stream on VLC. There are wired only versions as well as wired and wireless; some with IR, some without; some with fixed lens, some with zoom (varifocal). The TOP-201 from Xmeye is based on a particular flavor of HiSilicon chipset (maybe 3518?) and was reviewed on IPCT by a forum member here.

I have one like this without IR and is planned for a birdcam inside a bluebird house soon. I will use an external IR illuminator. It is small, cheap and provides a reliable RTSP stream to my BI via CAT-5e. They can be found on eBay, Aliexpress and I think even Newegg.
TOP201.png

Last edited:

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, it took me a while to figure this one out, but every poster above is right. The cam does have an IP address, which is not advertised in the documentation. It's still not a "proper IP cam", since it works only in AP mode with a range of something like a few meters. That feature is supposedly intended for those who are too lazy to mess with the SD card.
Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
@SouthernYankee, read what you're replying to before you reply, you repeated what i said. The original question wasn't clearly answered, I was just helping make our threads at ipcamtalk as useful as possible. Read before you reply.

The thread started July 27, 2018, finally got a clear answer on August 4, 2018

Last edited: