Wifi camera recommendation

graveyau

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on a WIFI camera. I know WIFI is not recommended (I have read the wiki). The camera is to send an image to a server at a fairly low rate (1-5 times a minute) so 100% connectivity is not crucial.

– Wifi connectivity
– IP64 or better (waterproof for humid/hot/cold environments)
– Full control of the camera, including its parameters such as exposure, focus, gain, resolution
– Small size/enclosure
– Not banned in the USA (such as Dahua and Hikvision)

I am considering Amcrest as they have a HTTP API or a python package to control it. I have thought about a raspberry pi with a camera module, but that's not really a secure option with the SD card being unencrypted and anyone could access the WIFI credientials.

Are there any other cameras that are suitable?

Thanks a bunch!

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
In Australia why are you concerned about products banned by US Government?
Whatever you end up with be sure to check all the boards for hidden spy chips.
ffs.png

-999x-999.gif

graveyau

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps a simpler question... what are some good camera options that has wifi and a solid API/SDK?

Also, not sure if you're joking or not @pinko ... haha

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps a simpler question... what are some good camera options that has wifi and a solid API/SDK?

Also, not sure if you're joking or not @pinko ... haha
I would suggest a 2MP Dahua Starlight varifocal turret-style camera with an add-on, external Ubiquiti bridge providing the wireless, if wired is absolutely not an option.
I would even consider a powerline adapter over any built-in wireless due to low transceiver sensitivity, power and bandwidth capabilities.