Wifi Doorbell

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by classna, May 3, 2015.

Share This Page

1. classna

classna n3wb

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

They are most likely unreliable...while they are wifi, they are not wireless, you still need to run power to the unit..you may as well run ethernet at that point and get a reliable unit.
    You can always use a zwave compatible lock to unlock your doors..

3. classna

classna n3wb

I already have power and ethernet wire connection. This setup is for my steel front gate where there will be an electric lock (http://www.viro.it/Pagine/Menu.asp?Lingua=EN&Divisione=Ferramenta&Fam=5) and am not sure such locks are zwave compatible. Can you suggest a reliable solution?

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

I am not familiar with that lock, but if you were intending to use it with the aliexpress device, your lock must have an alarm in connection to receive a signal from an external device..if so i believe you can use a zwave controller to do this...I have never done it before so hopefully someone with experience can guide you.

5. Django

Django Young grasshopper

First of all i can tell you that the skybell is totally unreliable. I currently have one and i'm going to replace it with a wired solution...I'm still looking for reliable system.
    I also have zwave and this is working perfectly. Well, I'm only using it for non-security stuff like lighting, airconditioning, heating etc. All my security stuff like cameras , doors, alarm system, garage doors etc....are wired. Please note that the range of zwave is rather small.
    You can find all zwave products at http://www.z-wave.com/

6. classna

classna n3wb

My samsung doorlock isn't z-wave compatible either. By wired solution, do you mean a regular video doorbell intercom with indoor display? would you care to share your experience with skybell and how is it unreliable?

7. Django

Django Young grasshopper

Frist of all , my experience with the skybell: when someone is at the door and the skybell rings, there is a big possibility that the skybell is not able to show the video although although i have 4g at that moment. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes not....it's just not robust. Also when i get the image it's really poor quality.
    I also have some hikvision cameras and these are working perfectly together with the blueiris software. Therefor I'm looking for à camera with two way audio, that works together with blueiris. This is wired but working extremely reliable...and also remote. On the short term I'll throw out the skybell and go for the hikvision blueiris system in order to make à video door phone system. I'll probably have to use a dome camera together with a zwave doorbel.

8. classna

classna n3wb

It will be nice to have a 1.3 or 3M hikvision camera with two way audio and a built-in speaker. DS-2CD2432F-I or DS-2CD2432F-IW will do the trick but they are not waterproof which is a must in my case. I will also need a way to unlock the door remotely.

9. classna

classna n3wb

@gearbest: That ACTOP doorbell is available for $115 at aliexpress. Even if you sell it for less than that, i am still not sure if the unit is reliable. Do you have any video samples of its 0.3MP camera?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
  10. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

These things are hit or miss..you are best buying it from a place that has easy returns like amazon if a us seller stocks them...Dont expect anything great from a low res camera, but since the subject is right in front if it, that resolution is more than adequate.

11. LittleBrother

LittleBrother Getting the hang of it

I doubt any work well and I bet latency is too high. I'd be very surprised if a person doesn't hit the button and you're often waiting a while for the event to happen, or maybe the app on your phone isn't loaded and/or responding properly. Sounds like something that in theory should work well but in practice probably doesn't.

I will caveat that I have no experience with a wifi doorbell, but I do with other mobile devices and apps. I might be wrong...though there is no wifi doorbell well rated on amazon unless it has its own dedicated receiver such as: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009KS5QW?psc=1 and really that's "wireless", not wifi ;)

I think a better approach is to appropriate a cheap tablet to be a semi-permanent video cam viewer and leave it in your kitchen or something constantly pulling a stream. How many chats do you really need to have remotely with people at a door anyway?

12. classna

classna n3wb

I still think there should be a way around it. I don't really need the whole thing to be WiFi. Maybe a custom solution like an IP camera with two way audio and builtin speaker and a door button when pressed sends a push notification to your smartphone and ring the chime as well (in case you miss the push notification, you still know there is someone at the door). I have no experience with home automation and access control stuff so maybe it all sounds dumb.

13. midniterebel

midniterebel n3wb

I was looking for a reliable doorbell solution last year and came across the doorbot and skybell products however when I read reviews many ppl said it was not reliable and spotty wireless etc.

i decided to create my own using a hikvision camera with alarm and audio inputs. I ran the doorbell to trigger the alarm on the camera, sending an alert via sms/mms to my phones and iPads. It also triggers the alarm output to a relay that makes my doorbell go off like normal.

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread...ikvision-Audio-and-Alarm-IO-connections/page2

14. code2

code2 Getting the hang of it

15. christyhicks

christyhicks n3wb

Well, I've had the Ring doorbell for several years, two different versions, and yeah, not impressed. It will work for awhile, or occasionally, then sometimes not for awhile. . . .I have a very large house so I use access points, one of which is pretty much on the other side of the wall from the doorbell button, but this doesn't seem to help. When it works, it works well, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it!

16. tangent

tangent Pulling my weight

17. fooey

fooey n3wb

Anyone have experience of the Doorbird? It's a fair bit more expensive than the Ring (though nothing like the Loxonne equivalent) but being POE it may actually work.

18. spencnor

spencnor Young grasshopper

I've been considering the Dahua outdoor station with the 1.3mp adjustable camera along with this 7" color monitor.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHU...2485.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.17.ekkgHF

There has been a rash of burglaries in our city the last few months with similar M.O's. They ring or knock on the front door and if no one answers, they stick their ear to the door and listen. If they don't hear anything they go around to the back glass patio door and use a glass punch and walk right in.

Some of my neighbors have installed the Ring doorbell, but I wanted something that I could connect to Blue Iris. I understand that I could install a camera with audio and a mic, but I'm looking for a more integrated system. I've ruled out any of the wifi doorbells and have no problem running more Ethernet cables.

Any input much appreciated. :)

19. tangent

Seems to have potential, but I'd wait a few months in hopes there are some credible reviews of the product.

If money is no object there are always things like this: http://www.axis.com/us/en/products/axis-a8004-ve

20. Django

Django Young grasshopper

This looks to me as a very interesting combination. I have a few questions though.
    Will the Dahua system work standalone?...most of these systems work via a server. This is something I absolutely do NOT want. If the company goes broke, you can throw away your system. So...does it work like the hikvision camera system where you can port forward, or do you have to go via a server.

Herman

21. spencnor

spencnor Young grasshopper

This is my concern also, that is, will it work stand alone? My guess is that this should work with the Dahua IP camera software, but I'm not sure. I have Hikvision cameras on Blue Iris and don't know anything about Dahua. My objective is to answer the "doorbell" via my smartphone when I'm away. This is from the Dahua website - click on the download tab for diagram.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/vto2000a-762.html

It appears this will work. I just found this post:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10253-Dahua-IP-Video-Intercom-with-Hikvision-cameras

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  22. Jimjao

Jimjao n3wb

I have the Ring Doorbell Pro. Is there a way to connect the device to BlueIris?

23. galaksy2001

galaksy2001 n3wb

This is the VTH1550ch which sends the push notification to your cell phone.

spencnor likes this.
  24. Aerrow

Aerrow n3wb

I am also very interested in the Dahua Villa series but I would like to see some reviews before committing to it.

25. tangent

Info is sparse for sure... some of them are a little chunky. Search youtube for the various models. There are some reviews / unboxing videos in other languages, but you'll still learn stuff.

26. fooey

fooey n3wb

@galaksy2001 Can't seem to find any info as others have also found info sparse... Does the video monitor make any ringing/door bell chime sounds when activated by the door unit?

What I like about the DoorBird is that it has a PIR so video can be captured as someone approaches, even if they do not end up pushing the door bell. It can be connected to a normal door chime (which is useful for other home occupants).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
  27. tangent

I think it does, there a video in russian that shows this iirc.

It would be a more useful product if it had a PIR. Ultimately, a dedicated motion detector wired in to an alarm panel or other annunciatior would probably work better than any of these options to alert you somebody's on the porch.

I'd like to see something more like one of Dahua's products with a PIR built in instead of a card reader with better firmware and mobile software.

28. eyeball

eyeball Young grasshopper

I contacted the Ring support folks - they say that it will not work with Blue Iris and there are no plans to allow it to work with BI.

They want to make customers purchase their 'cloud' service.

Evidently "Ring" is a piece of crap anyway according to the reviews.

Seems like there would be a (versatile, reliable) product to fit the doorbell camera niche, but I haven't found it.

29. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

The doorbird seems to have an rtsp stream available according to their API document. I would call them to confirm.

eyeball likes this.
  30. fooey

fooey n3wb

Looks like the Dahua villa plus a couple of monitors and using standard SIP app on mobile devices may still be cheaper than the Doorbird