Wifi ip camera to NVR using onvif, Is router connection required

harold

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I want to add a IP cam to my existing wifi NVR so I connected my IPC to my router and added my home wifi credentials, now I can disconnect my IPC from router and it works, However the NVR must be connected to my router, my question is if its possible to connect the IPC directly to the NVR wifi so my NVR does not need router connection?

Many thanks

(newbie and hope I'm posting in right forum, otherwise kindly guide me!)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I want to add a IP cam to my existing wifi NVR so I connected my IPC to my router and added my home wifi credentials, now I can disconnect my IPC from router and it works, However the NVR must be connected to my router, my question is if its possible to connect the IPC directly to the NVR wifi so my NVR does not need router connection?

Many thanks

(newbie and hope I'm posting in right forum, otherwise kindly guide me!)
Welcome Harold,

Your existing WiFi NVR should be able to handle any compatible WiFi IP cameras without having to go through your WiFi router.

Note, with 2 WiFi routers you may have some WiFi channel conflicts.

Just in case you have not yet seen this:

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@harold ,
What make/model of 'Wi-Fi NVR' do you have?
Was the 'Wi-Fi NVR' hooked (wirelessly) to the Wi-Fi router before you decided to add the new cam?

harold

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Harold,

Your existing WiFi NVR should be able to handle any compatible WiFi IP cameras without having to go through your WiFi router.
Thanks mat200 for the nice welcome, just for reference this is the system I currently have, are you sure any onvif IPC would work with the NVR's wifi?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mat200 for the nice welcome, just for reference this is the system I currently have, are you sure any onvif IPC would work with the NVR's wifi?
Hi Harold,

What camera are you attempting to connect with this system?
How many cameras are already connected?

Techage 720P WIFI CCTV Camera System 4CH 1.0MP Wireless NVR + Waterproof IP Camera IR-CUT Night Vision Home Security Surveillance Kits With 1tb Hard Drive

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Techage web site sorely is lacking in support, IMHO (busted links, links for manuals instead provide firmware, etc.). The best I can tell, the NVR's 'Wi-Fi' is possibly a misnomer, in that it operates in 'Ad-Hoc' mode rather than what we usually associate with the term 'Wi-Fi' wherein it operates in the 'infrastructure' mode.
What this means to you is that the NVR provides a wireless signal ( in Ad-Hoc mode) that connects directly to the IP cams (also in Ad-Hoc mode), and not to your home Wi-Fi (infrastructure mode).
You plug the NVR into your router, install an app on your smartphone and use the app to get the cams to connect to the NVR's wireless. Once all 4 are done you can then unplug the NVR from your router but I have to assume if you do that you would NOT be able to see your cams from outside your home (WAN) and possibly from inside your home (LAN).
The way I see it, and I am making my best guess in all honesty, it's like this:

NVR==>> NVR wireless ==>>CAMS
|| << note 1
ROUTER ==>>ROUTER wireless ==>> smartphone
||
INTERNET ===================>> smartphone

Note that if you disconnect cable 1 above that goes from NVR to ROUTER you won't be able to see cams, surely from outside your home (WAN) and possibly from inside home as well (LAN).

Last edited: