Wifi IP Cameras: router strategy

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Range is important and ability to bridge also. Network for Cameras only

Some questions
1) Are Wifi cameras mostly at 2.5 ghz band?
2) Is wireless N the best standard for wireless N camera or will AC be better (AC is backwards compatible)?
3) What is a very good wifi router for 16-32 wifi camera install (range & thruput)?
4) what to avoid?
5) Do larger antenna make big difference?

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will only have problems with 32 cameras on wifi.....why are you not running cable?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes they are mainly 2.4 ghz. 5 ghz suffers abominable range, even though it's much better at very, very close range.

801.11ac is crap for cameras (no range)--heck, it's crap for a lot of stuff. It also runs on the 5 ghz wavelength, and the transmission power in home routers at 5 ghz is just so weak that the range is terrible. Your throughput will be phenomenal in the same room or maybe one room away. Wireless N can broadcast on both 2.4 and 5.

Currently not many devices support ac.

Unless you throw vast amounts of money at this wifi is going to be terrible for the size install you want. Go with wired cameras: they are cheaper, more reliable, work at far greater ranges (unless you're investing in professional wireless equipment, which can give you way better range than the home stuff).

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
You will only have problems with 32 cameras on wifi.....why are you not running cable?
Extending network with a bridge or two or three is a network option. Ok lets say its 16 cameras(so we can hopefully get past cable bias, with a bridge (hardwired) so 8 on each router on different channels.

I really like to talk about what is a good wifi router and not hardwire. Why, cause if its working great, if not I can run the wire.

Whats a good wifi router for survailence cameras?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Extending network with a bridge or two or three is a network option. Ok lets say its 16 cameras(so we can hopefully get past cable bias, with a bridge (hardwired) so 8 on each router on different channels.

I really like to talk about what is a good wifi router and not hardwire. Why, cause if its working great, if not I can run the wire.

Whats a good wifi router for survailence cameras?
Sorry lets assume mixed wire and wireless install, whats a good wifi router for survailence cameras, just trying to find a model.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From everything that I try to keep up with on Wifi, the Ubiquiti access points are hard to beat for the price/features. I know that there is a serious bias around here about hardwired for your cameras, and for good reason. I have two cameras that are on wifi and they are terribly unreliable when it comes to keeping a strong connection to my BI server. Sometimes I get great frame rates and others I drop well below 5 FPS when they are set to 30 FPS. I am looking to replace these wifi cams once funds are available.

If I was looking to keep them on wifi I would certainly look to Ubiquity for my gear (still looking to get the Ubiquity gear just because it looks awesome from specs/reviews).

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438094599&sr=1-1&keywords=ubiquiti

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Yes they are mainly 2.4 ghz. 5 ghz suffers abominable range, even though it's much better at very, very close range.

801.11ac is crap for cameras (no range)--heck, it's crap for a lot of stuff. It also runs on the 5 ghz wavelength, and the transmission power in home routers at 5 ghz is just so weak that the range is terrible. Your throughput will be phenomenal in the same room or maybe one room away. Wireless N can broadcast on both 2.4 and 5.

Currently not many devices support ac.

Unless you throw vast amounts of money at this wifi is going to be terrible for the size install you want. Go with wired cameras: they are cheaper, more reliable, work at far greater ranges (unless you're investing in professional wireless equipment, which can give you way better range than the home stuff).
Sorry, lets assume a modest wifi install, whats a good model that bridges well??

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
From everything that I try to keep up with on Wifi, the Ubiquiti access points are hard to beat for the price/features. I know that there is a serious bias around here about hardwired for your cameras, and for good reason. I have two cameras that are on wifi and they are terribly unreliable when it comes to keeping a strong connection to my BI server. Sometimes I get great frame rates and others I drop well below 5 FPS when they are set to 30 FPS. I am looking to replace these wifi cams once funds are available.

If I was looking to keep them on wifi I would certainly look to Ubiquity for my gear (still looking to get the Ubiquity gear just because it looks awesome from specs/reviews).

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438094599&sr=1-1&keywords=ubiquiti
Thanks I'll check it out.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just remember, this is just an access point to provide wifi. It still needs another device to do the DHCP, routing, DNS, etc.

These can also be setup to provide multiple VLANs to segment your network if wanted.
And if you are looking for greater range there is a UAP-LR version that gets you further (but range is subject to the camera in your case based on its ability to send the data back to the AP).

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Just remember, this is just an access point to provide wifi. It still needs another device to do the DHCP, routing, DNS, etc.

These can also be setup to provide multiple VLANs to segment your network if wanted.
And if you are looking for greater range there is a UAP-LR version that gets you further (but range is subject to the camera in your case based on its ability to send the data back to the AP).
yes I keep forgetting the cameras are the limiting leg of RF transmission.

SoulkeepHL

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, with that many cameras, you'd want that wifi network to ONLY serve your cameras, as they will monopolize the bandwidth. I run 3x UniFi AP-LR's at home, and even with only 3x WiFi cameras, I put one of the AP's on it's own network on the opposite side of the RF spectrum from my actual data network.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Also, with that many cameras, you'd want that wifi network to ONLY serve your cameras, as they will monopolize the bandwidth. I run 3x UniFi AP-LR's at home, and even with only 3x WiFi cameras, I put one of the AP's on it's own network on the opposite side of the RF spectrum from my actual data network.
Yes its just for cameras and BI.