WiFi monitor screen

Sambojc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm running 2 wireless ip cameras with blue iris on a dedicated PC with remote acces.

I m looking for a small wall mounted WiFi monitor that I can put in a common area. That would be turned on when someone is home.

From looking around one option I have seen is getting a cheap android tablet but I'm not sure this will stay on with out the screen locking, or what software to use.

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer some help

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your wifi is gonna start falling apart if you try to add more HD video streaming devices to wifi.. 2 is about the limit, adding a tablet streaming em will be like doubling your current loads

Sambojc

n3wb
Reaction score
your wifi is gonna start falling apart if you try to add more HD video streaming devices to wifi.. 2 is about the limit, adding a tablet streaming em will be like doubling your current loads

I have a pretty reliable WiFi network setup that can handle numerous HD streaming devices and phones on at the same time with no problems so I thinks adding one more should not be a problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a pretty reliable WiFi network setup that can handle numerous HD streaming devices and phones on at the same time with no problems so I thinks adding one more should not be a problem.
You are confusing phones and video that buffer with camera feeds that need constant solid streams...

Sambojc

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for clearing this up guys.

I guess what could work is getting an android tablet mounting it on the wall,
downloading blue iris android software and login in intermittently say when someone knocks on the front door.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for clearing this up guys.

I guess what could work is getting an android tablet mounting it on the wall,
downloading blue iris android software and login in intermittently say when someone knocks on the front door.
It will still work, just manage the bandwidth with the webserver settings...The default is pretty low... But it won't be 100 percent uptime....

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an old iPad that use to run the blue iris app. I leave it running almost all the time and it seems to work fine. As long as your wifi can handle it i think a tablet is your best bet.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not advisable to run security cameras recording remotely over a wireless link, unless your using a pair of directional bridges that are dedicated to the task and focused on each-other there are too many external influences that can result in dropped frames and dataloss.. microwave ovens, denial of service attacks, neighbor's devices, toys, all sorts of crap operate on 2.4GHz wireless and all are susceptible to environmental interference and share throughput.. the more devices you put on the band the higher the noise floor gets and the slower everything operates at to compensate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
its not advisable to run security cameras recording remotely over a wireless link, unless your using a pair of directional bridges that are dedicated to the task and focused on each-other there are too many external influences that can result in dropped frames and dataloss.. microwave ovens, denial of service attacks, neighbor's devices, toys, all sorts of crap operate on 2.4GHz wireless and all are susceptible to environmental interference and share throughput.. the more devices you put on the band the higher the noise floor gets and the slower everything operates at to compensate.
hes not recording....just using it to monitor..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2 wireless camera + blueiris !== recording over wifi? since when..

now he wants to add a tablet to the mix

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2 wireless camera + blueiris !== recording over wifi? since when..

now he wants to add a tablet to the mix
Yes, but this monitor is simply a viewer....its easy enough to test steaming to a phone etc..
My personal preference is always hdmi over ethernet to a monitor...always on rock solid.

Sambojc

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have blue iris set up on my android phone, it works fine over the network as a viewer.
I would be doing the same thing on the tablet just fixing it to the wall and looking at it when I'm home and someone sets of the motion alert at front door.

While blue iris is working on the PC and recording the event.