wifi not sticking %$#@!!!

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a newbie but have read all I can find. I am trying to set up wirelessly and it is driving me insane.

I have three Dahua DH ipc hdbw13a0en w cameras with fast 100+gb sims. I have reset and use the config tool while wired to my network and set up the cameras to use static IPs and wifi. All looks good and I see the video when wired and have even cycled on and off a couple of times after setup and disconnected from the wired network and it seems good SOMETIMES. But sometimes when I disconnect after setting up the wifi the wifi connection just dies. I am properly logged into the wireless network in the config tool. If it does stick and then I install the cameras maybe it will work for a bit and then it stops, red light blinking. The signal is NOT strong, but even if right next to the router after a couple of power cycles the wireless just stops and I have to plug back in and reset.

I am not using a NVR, I hope to remotely go in via VPN and access the motion detected video on the local SIM cards on each camera. I have tried this with the cameras on a different network for testing and all was good and the setup stuck and worked through multiple on/offs and days. I am using a 2.4ghz wifi 802.11n connection. The signal IS weak but I can surf the web on a laptop in the same location and connection. I have wired power, not POE.

If anyone has a clue I would sure appreciate it. I am working remotely and only have another day to get this working. I had it all set up and tested on this other network and had hoped to just plug and play.... :-(

Thanks!

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
More info:
Now, on on of the cameras, when I disconnect from the wired network the green light comes on but the wifi stream is seemingly not working as I lose all video from the camera. This is now just feet from the wireless router for testing. If I plug the network cable in then all is good again... weird - the wofi setup via config tool is just not taking...

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"signal IS weak"

week signal and wifi is never a good thing, although you can get a web page don't expect video to work.

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I can add a wifi repeater later - but meanwhile I need the wifi settings to stick. I just saw you have to specify and save wireless and default so am checking that now...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would suggest you try to install newer firmware on these cameras, as that is the only thing I can think of which may help with your situation.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have found the WEAK link, wifi. Wifi has it's good and bad, this is an example of the AWFUL BAD. There are some options, adding access points etc... but personally I would avoid wifi like the plague when it comes to home security. If you are unable to resolve your situation regarding signal, you may need to bite the bullet and start new with hard wired equipment.

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Well....thank you all. I am working on protecting a home built by a well known architect and have to be very respectful to the structure. Drilling holes all over to install cabling is not an option and I can't do exposed wiring either... I hear you but...

So, is the fact that each time I log in the network settings change, or setting saves do not work, also due to a bad wifi signal? Cause that is also happening even when I am hard wired... Do you all do a reset every time you make a camera setting change?

Sounds like I will probably have to set up external hard wired cameras ... that will be a hoot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well....thank you all. I am working on protecting a home built by a well known architect and have to be very respectful to the structure. Drilling holes all over to install cabling is not an option and I can't do exposed wiring either... I hear you but...

So, is the fact that each time I log in the network settings change, or setting saves do not work, also due to a bad wifi signal? Cause that is also happening even when I am hard wired... Do you all do a reset every time you make a camera setting change?

Sounds like I will probably have to set up external hard wired cameras ... that will be a hoot.
That architect should have thought of the cams...
you need to drill holes to fasten the cameras....so drilling a hole for the cable is no different....get a professional low voltage installer to run everything in wall...minimal damage...

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
They did not have much crime back then and home surveillance cameras did not even exist...old house...

Any thoughts from anyone on why the settings keep changing whenever I log back in? Even when set to static IP? Even the gateway changes occasionally ... just weird....would love to lock them in.

TomasLTU

n3wb
Reaction score
If you at least have power in the location of the camera you can attach Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 wireless antenna next to it and have a quality connection. But keep in mind that camera and the antenna will have their own power supplies.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
as above use high powered point to point / point to multiply point for the backbone then hard wire to the cameras.

i would go for the NanoStation M5 over the M2 ;-) (this is just my preference)

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool! This could solve the bandwidth issue. I do have access to power...
Thanks a bunch!

I still have the non-sticking settings issue - but will deal with that later...

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
TomasLTU & Copex,
I have been trying to get details from Ubiquity forums to no avail...

Can you tell me: do I need a nanostation at my wifi access point AND at each camera?
or
Do I simply need one at each camera and that will pick up the weak signal from the AP and send a strong enough one back?

Thanks!!!

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
crude image attached...the AP/router is currently just a simple residential router/firewall/wifi AP. The small rectangle is a garage. Both house and garage are wood frame construction with wood interior and exterior siding (vs drywall).

Attachments

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you should be able to use Ubiquiti Networks - NanoBeam® M for camera 2 pointing back to the router, you would then cable from the nanobeam to POE to CCTV camera, the nanobeem is powered by a POE injector, as for the camera on the garage it would be cheaper just to cable the camera directly you would also have to be happy to install rj45 on to the cable, use a external cat5 cable.

the wifi on the router should be good for 30mrts you need to check the router and the nanobeem is on the same frequency no point in getting the 5ghz version if your router is only 2.4ghz, the nanobeem would be configured as a client off the router, if for some strange reason the router is not powerful the you would have to get a second nanobeem fitted to the house and cabled back to the router pointing at camera2

hope it helps

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds feasible. But for clarification: are you saying I should wire the second camera on the garage to the nanobeam connected to the first camera so they share that? I actually could wire in the garage, that IS feasible....

Many thanks for all the ideas. This is confusing as I have so many differing opinions. Ubiquity support even suggests to
create a point to a multipoint link with a Nanostation Loco M5 wired at the router AND at each camera and then have a Unifi AC Mesh at each camera as well. That would be crazy pricey if this network expands (as I am sure it will).