WIFI recomendations requested

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am currently experimenting with a mobile game cam project. below you can see a sat view of my property. The letters on the sat view photo represent places i would like to possibly set my camera temporarily. Take note of all the buildings obstructing or possibly obstructing line of sight.

SATVIEW.WIFI.jpg

using a netgear wifi extender in my kitchen i am able to set that camera at location "A" which is approx. 150 yrds distance from the wifi extender in the house.

I am considering making a portable wifi extender station that would be solar powered or just simply battery powered.

My biggest concern is a wifi extender that will reach thru the trees and foliage without breaking the bank.

The greatest possible distance in my desired locations would be no more than half of a mile. Nevertheless, I imagine i am gna have to have or make some kind of portable wifi station in order to get around buildings that will most definately block wifi signals.

I am currently renting and do not intend on doing anything except wifi or possibly a wifi hotspot lte modem if i can find a plan that wont cost me a arm and a leg. would rather just cheat with wifi. I also intend on using continuous live feed. So that limits me back down to wifi only.

so far in my research i have noticed that all wifi extenders etc seem to run on 24vdc or 48vdc. Was wondering if anybody new of any that ran on either 12vdc or 36vdc which is what my setup is utilizing as of now.

any recomendations on WIFI repeaters would be apreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Ubiquiti PowerBeam M2 Point-to-Point Wireless Bridge

Scroll down the page a bit and look at the different usages and then click on one to learn how to set it up. They don't meet your power preferences but they work nicely. These ones are cheap, have a wide angle but still directional antenna and the 2.4ghz penetrates minor obstructions decently. Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation locoM2 2.4GHz Indoor/Outdoor airMax 8dBi CPE: Computers & Accessories

If the 2.4ghz doesn't penetrate sufficiently or you have interference from other 2.4ghz sources then try the M900s- Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Nano Station M900 Loco 900MHz MIMO Air-Max TDMA Station: Computers & Accessories

Distance won't matter at your distances, even the little Nano Loco M2s are good for WAY over your distances with a clear LOS. Obstructions won't help but it's hard to know for sure until installation.

Picostations come with omni antennae and are good for a central point listening to 2.4ghz clients spread in a wide circle. That's the PtMP example in the link. The Nano M2s work in PtMP but directionally like their picture shows with the multiple peers to one side of the single link. Amazon.com: Ubiquiti PicoStationM2HP - Wireless Access Point - AirMax - 802.11 B/G/N (PICOM2HUS): Computers & Accessories

I'm not sure what the practical maximum limits of a Picostation are but they'll vary from location to location. At one location I'm currently running 5 2mp cams and one 4mp cam from a number of Nano M2s linked to a Pico with no issues. Can't remember the bitrate offhand but they're throttled down on FPS and bitrate to take things easy on the Blue Iris computer. It's only an older I3 and can peak the CPU at times depending on what I do with BI so it's the limiting factor. Other cams are running in addition to those on the Pico PtMP link though. Distances are less than yours but the Pico is mounted inside and receiving through a wall. The Nanos are outdoors.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.