wifi vs ethernet

Reaction score
I recently purchased a cheap camera and have set it up through wifi and also tried direct to router via ethernet cable and there is no difference in the live video speed. It varies from around 100 kbs to 500 kbs no matter which way it's hooked up. Is this normal or is it an issue with my Linksys router? My download speed in my wifi chromebook is 10 mbs and my ethernet cable is cat7.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on camera settings (resolution, codec, bit rate, FPS, iFrame rate, etc) and how much movement is happening in from the camera, the kbs can really vary. Are you not happy with the camera image quality or are just wondering why the bit rate is so low?

Reaction score
Depending on camera settings (resolution, codec, bit rate, FPS, iFrame rate, etc) and how much movement is happening in from the camera, the kbs can really vary. Are you not happy with the camera image quality or are just wondering why the bit rate is so low?
The image does pixelate quite often, which is quite annoying. This camera is set up outside facing my bird feeders so there is always movement either from the birds or the trees blowing in the wind. I just think it's odd that I don't get a faster bit rate from straight ethernet than I do from wifi.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The image does pixelate quite often, which is quite annoying. This camera is set up outside facing my bird feeders so there is always movement either from the birds or the trees blowing in the wind. I just think it's odd that I don't get a faster bit rate from straight ethernet than I do from wifi.
Hi @mnshutterbug

That maybe the bandwidth / processing limit of the cheap camera you're hitting, not any wifi nor ethernet limit.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
It could help if you post these video settings of your cam, as ample parameters have a (positive/negative) impact on the bandwidth. Maybe you are watching a substream and not the main stream?