WiIFI Setup

bigkap

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe I missed this elsewhere.
I have 3 cameras all WIFI capable.
Currently all going through TP link Powerline"plugs" through the house.
Normally all is stable however every now and then it drops.
So. Basic question.
What do I need and how do I set up BI4 for WIFI?

Is Wifi card needed in computer as all WIFI would still be going through the router with static IP addresses?
Or, what else do I need to do?

Thanks

Steve

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Although wifi sucks for most security cam setups, all you really need is the BI PC to be able to talk to the cams. Without a digram of how your network is setup, it's really hard to advise on what you are doing. Also look here for more networking info:

IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you thinking that making the BI PC wireless will improve your connectivity issues regarding the power line adapters?
It's not clear what you want to achieve by going wireless with the BI PC (could add to your drops outs, BTW).

I have a single TP-LINK power line adapter (PLA) traveling about 80 feet because of a garage on a concrete slab with no ceiling access due to a bonus room above it and it's been rock-steady for over 3-1/2 years. To be honest, it's predecessor was running for 3-1/2 years, a nearby lighting strike took it out and I replaced it this past March.

Modern PLA's generally don't have issues working across the 2 separate 120 volt legs of a 3-wire, 120/240v, single phase residence. Earlier units required capacitive coupling between the 2 hot legs in order for a PLA on 1 leg of 120v pass data to the other leg of 120v, so it was recommended to plug the PLA's into the outlets that were served by the same side (same leg) of the electrical panel. That can still be an issue even with the better, newer units under certain circumstances (number of PLA's on circuit, distance of wiring).

Before you jump off the deep end and go wireless with anything, you may want to try moving the PLA on 1 end to a different outlet even if you have to use a longer Ethernet cable to see if your dropouts improve. The intent is to have both PLA's on the same hot leg (same side of the panel), even better is being fed by the same circuit breaker.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigkap

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both very much for the advice.
I was under the impression that WiFi was more stable then the TP Adaptors. Just that the TP adaptors keep dropping and when I get home I either have to unplug the Ethernet cables or, turn the power off and on. Then they work again.
I have been away when it happens leaving me without security cameras!! Not good.

Having a think and reading your advice, I will go for hardwire for all 3 cameras even though it may be messy with the cables. But the bonus is, BI should be working constantly and all should be stable.

Thank you

Steve

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hardwire IS, indeed, the best over wireless or PLA's. But some PLA's are better than others...I had a Zyxel unit for a time that was not so good; the TP-LINK mentioned in my post #3 has been very good.