Will even a top-of-the-line Asus router be an inadequate VPN server for a gigabit connection?

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
I am setting up a home IP camera system using a dedicated i7-6700 computer as a Blue Iris server.

I have been trying to digest @nayr ‘s primer and the Cliff Notes:

I am considering setting up a high end Asus router like the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 as a VPN server so I can only view my video feeds while I am away by connecting to my home VPN.

But @nayr said “The first throughput bottleneck your likely to encounter is how much data your VPN Server can encrypt in realtime”.

This concerns me because I have a gigabit connection from ATT and I don’t want it slow d down by the VPN encryption.

Do you think a top of the line router from Asus will be fast enough to serve as a VPN server or will it slow down my internet?

I was thinking of going this route because I don’t want to mess around with command lines and the learning curve of Open VPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am setting up a home IP camera system using a dedicated i7-6700 computer as a Blue Iris server.

I have been trying to digest @nayr ‘s primer and the Cliff Notes:

I am considering setting up a high end Asus router like the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 as a VPN server so I can only view my video feeds while I am away by connecting to my home VPN.

But @nayr said “The first throughput bottleneck your likely to encounter is how much data your VPN Server can encrypt in realtime”.

This concerns me because I have a gigabit connection from ATT and I don’t want it slow d down by the VPN encryption.

Do you think a top of the line router from Asus will be fast enough to serve as a VPN server or will it slow down my internet?

I was thinking of going this route because I don’t want to mess around with command lines and the learning curve of Open VPN.

I think you are confused. Running openvpn on your ASUS router will have no impact on your daily internet activities for devices on your network. The only slow down that will occur is between your phone and your blueiris machine. Even the slowest VPN ASUS router will not impair your ability to view your blueiris server just as you would be without the VPN.

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you are confused. Running openvpn on your ASUS router will have no impact on your daily internet activities for devices on your network. The only slow down that will occur is between your phone and your blueiris machine. Even the slowest VPN ASUS router will not impair your ability to view your blueiris server just as you would be without the VPN.
Thanks so much! This is reassuring!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many routers can't really handle a full gigabit of bandwidth (some can't even handle a full 100mbps), not that the difference between 700mbps and 1000mbps will ultimately matter that much to you. Just don't go complain to your ISP if your router's the bottleneck.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gaming Router Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder - Results from #2

IFF you're tech savvy enough to handle it, consider something like an Edge Router lite.

gto-guy

n3wb
Reaction score
or use an older i5/i7 desktop with pfsense and a second nic card.

if you are only using OpenVPN to remove view then you should be fine. if you are using OpenVPN to route your traffic through a vpn service (like nord) or you are trying to send remote camera data across the web to a dvr then you will kill it.

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
or use an older i5/i7 desktop with pfsense and a second nic card.

if you are only using OpenVPN to remove view then you should be fine. if you are using OpenVPN to route your traffic through a vpn service (like nord) or you are trying to send remote camera data across the web to a dvr then you will kill it.
What’s pfsense? Is setting up for remote viewing hard?