Will riser network cable handle florida's heat in the attic?

PancakeBimmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should I be concerned about running a riser network cable through the attic with florida's extreme heat?
I ran riser cable through the attic in Pacific North West region and cable would get soft to the touch during summers, but here in Florida I feel like riser cable will just melt in extremely hot attic during the summer.

I am thinking about maybe running shielded riser cable which will give it some rigidity even in the heat, or some have also suggested plenum cable which I know is more fire resistant yet that is not the concern. Concern is that regular riser cable over the years of being heated will deteriorate more, not catch on fire.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check the Temp Range specs of the CAT cable, not a big difference (if any) between plenum & non-plenum rated cable.
Outdoor CAT6 may have a higher operating range.
The foil shield on STP cable is very thin & lightweight, doubt it will help with cable 'rigidity'.
Check 'industrial' CAT cable, extreme heat rated - something like this will work.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not expect any problems. To be on the safe side, I do think you should make sure to get cable with solid copper wire, not CCA (copper-clad aluminum), as the pure copper will heat up less due to POE.

If the attic is truly getting hot enough to exceed the cable's rating, maybe consider adding ventilation.

PancakeBimmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not expect any problems. To be on the safe side, I do think you should make sure to get cable with solid copper wire, not CCA (copper-clad aluminum), as the pure copper will heat up less due to POE.

If the attic is truly getting hot enough to exceed the cable's rating, maybe consider adding ventilation.
Definitely using pure copper and none of that CCA. I was even thinking about running 23AWG CAT6 since it has thicker conductor. Price difference isn't that much, and over the years I have gotten used to cat6 being a bit more stubborn.

As for attic getting hot, my only point of reference is hot attic in PNW summer, so here in florida it might not be that much hotter but just seem that way.

Got it. Thank you