Will SD49225T-HN work with my setup (pics)

Buck Snort

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and I'm beginning my research for 2 or 3 PTZ cameras for my home. After reading through the forum it seems like for those including myself on a budget that the SD49225T-HN is the way to go. I'm on a 2 acre lot and my plan is to have a minimum of 2 cameras (1 in front, 1 in back) to cover main entryways, the pool, etc.

I will be using a Synology DS218+ for surveillance and a Ubiquiti Unifi US‑8‑150W switch that has Poe+ capabilities.

The main question I have is for mounting. I would like to mount from the attic as I already have some Cat6 runs up there for my AP's. I could drop the runs along the roofline under the gutters. Does anyone use the vertical style mounts with this type of setup? All I have seen is people posting the wall mounts that come with the camera.

Another question is regarding floodlights. I have floodlights at all corners of the house. I would imagine you wouldn't want to mount in front of the floodlights or near? I was thinking of placing the camera somewhere along the middle between the floodlights.

Attached are some pictures of 3 of the sides of the house labeled front, back and side. Like I said I would do 2 camera's minimum (front and back) with a 3rd potential camera on the side of the house.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome.
Please read the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.
That's a good camera, but, it's almost always better to have more fixed cameras than to use a PTZ. A PTZ has a very high likelyhood of looking the wrong way when something happens.

You want to know who did it, not just what happened. To that end, your soffits are way too high for fixed cams.
For ID purpose's, keep cams 8ft or lower.

Buck Snort

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'll look over cliff notes, that will be very helpful for a newb like me ;-).

Unfortunately with an all brick house drilling through the attic will make my wife the happiest even though it's pretty high up versus drilling somewhere in the brick and installing at 8 ft. Plus with it that high up its out of sight out of mind for her. Happy wife = Happy life :).

The main purpose/function these camera's will have is to view my property when away from home. One time while on vacation we had about 6-8 inches of rain in a very short time period and our pool overflowed. Also a tree decided to fall another time when away. So our biggest thing is being able to see what mother nature is doing to our house/property and being able to check in live from our iPhone's whenever we desire. That's why I figured a PTZ will allow me to zoom in and look over the property and if mother nature unleashes her fury I can call the neighbor and be like hey I noticed the pool level getting high please go let some water out, etc..

We live in a pretty safe neighborhood and I keep a gun safe in my bedroom so my defense to intrusion is my shotgun versus camera alarms. So when it comes to these security cams my concern is not at all to do with intrusion or identifying someone but rather have a live view of my property at my fingertips anytime I want to check in.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Brian