Will this computer work?

Todd9352

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m new to the forum and have read a lot of info. I have a spare computer and wanted to know what you all think about it being used to run blue iris.

Dell Inspiron 620
Intel core i5 2320 3.00 GHz
Intel HD graphics
6 GB memory

SSD drive with Windows 10 and Blue Iris
2 TB western digital purple for storage

Would this computer safely run 8 4 MP cameras?

This computer would only be used for blue iris and nothing else.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It will likely run but with high CPU usage... Hardware acceleration for the second Gen processor doesn't work at resolutions higher than 1080p.... Since you already have the system it can't hurt to try... Install windows clean using the ms media creation tool... And make sure you enter the license key for Blue Iris and said all cameras to direct to disc

Todd9352

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Doesn’t sound like it it would work real well.

If I installed a gaming graphics card (better ratings than intel hd graphics) would that improve the performance or is the i5 cpu the reason it’s going to be slow?

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I am looking for Best specs to look for. Exactly. 16 4mp. Have two systems up now one good one bad cpu usage so I’d like to know Best specs for the new pc I’m going to buy.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For 16x 4MP cameras, definitely get an i7. Even the fastest system will struggle a bit getting 16 of them to run at 15 FPS. 16 cameras * 4 MP * 15 FPS = 960 megapixels per second, almost 50% more than what my i7-3770K runs. If you are okay with 10 FPS frame rates then any 3rd through 7th generation i7 quad core (not counting the S and T models) should be able to handle it. If you want more than 10 FPS, go for 8th generation i7 since those are 6 core. Whatever you do, don't buy a CPU without Quick Sync support.

Last edited:

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So am I correct in that getting the best intel processor with 8Gb ram an SSD for the operating system and HHD for the storage is the best soulution. I think I’m catching on here.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can probably get away with 8 GB ram but you could be pretty close to the limit particularly if you were going to run anything else on that PC.

My Blue Iris instance takes 5.5 GB all by itself with just a 660 MP/s load.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can probably get away with 8 GB ram but you could be pretty close to the limit particularly if you were going to run anything else on that PC.

My Blue Iris instance takes 5.5 GB all by itself with just a 660 MP/s load.
I’ll bump it to 16 it’s cheap anyway