Will this network setup work?

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well it's been a while since I've been here but I'm back :)

Right now I have my LTS LTN8708-P8 NVR in my garage and my 3 LTS CMIP3042W cameras hooked directly to it. Normally heat hasn't been much of a worry for me but this year the heat has been brutal in my area. Heat index 100-105 and while the garage is insulated and it's still getting up to 90-92 in the garage. So while the NVR isn't showing signs of damage or overheating like shutting off it's got me wondering if I can move it.

So this is my idea, tell me if I'm way off base or not...

I'm thinking about getting a 8 port switch (4 ports are POE) like this netgear switch and placing it in my garage where all three camera ethernet cables are ran to and plug them into the PoE ports. Then run a cable from the new switch to another location inside my house and to the NVR.

Will this work or do I need more bandwidth or something entirely different?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Although I am not familiar with the operation of NVR's I do believe that would be a swell(tering!!) solution.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
3 cams should be fine. The number of cams it would take to saturate at 100mbit link depends on the bitrate.
Cat-5e can handle gigabit (1000mbps). Your cams are only 10/100. That switch is only 100mbps. The PoE ports on your NVR are only 100mbps.

You wouldn't really benefit from it at this point, but I'd choose a switch with a gigabit uplink or gigabit PoE ports. It will serve you better long term.

You can probably find some discussion in other threads about this type of setup. In theory it should work, but it does depend on certain design choices in the NVR hardware / software and proper implementation of the related IEEE standards.

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I placed the order for a new TP-LINK TL-SG108PE PoE switch this morning and should have it in just two days. Went with this switch instead as it gave some management options such as VLAN's and trunking. 4 of the ports are PoE and I figured I could use injectors if I added even more cameras, which I don't currently have any plans to.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
This will work, however you will need to do a little bit of configuration. When you have LTS cameras connected to the back of an LTS NVR, they are plug and play, however if they are on a switch, the cameras will need to be configured with their own IP addresses on the same subnet (192.168.1.xxx for example) as the NVR. Once they are hooked up, the NVR will need to be configured under Configuration > Camera >Camera so that the IP addresses of the cameras are manually added to the camera list.

Hope this helps.