Win10 vs WinServer

gawws

n3wb
Reaction score
I am planning to install BI on a Dell Optiplex 8-core i7 9700 and eventually eight cams. I have a Windows Server license I am willing to burn if there will be a benefit over using W10. Any thoughts?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably overkill, The Optiplex should be licensed with w 10 Pro, If you go the Media creation route with a 8GB usb stick, you can load that up from MS, and it wont hassle you for a license. Unless the Optiplex came licensed with Win8....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was cooking along on an i7-3770S Optiplex 7020 for awhile. running 15 cams. Eventually the SMR WD Blue drives were a bottle neck for playback, while also recording......
Went with an i5-8500 Hp SFF. and a 8TB WD surveillance drive. threw in an old 5TB WD blue drive to split a little bit of the load. works great. 17 cams now.

gawws

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct, it has a W10 license. I just typically use a server license for appliances, "enterprise" devices, and anything with two NICs. Thanks for the response.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not versed in Win server. Played with the 2012 version thru some tutorials, with Eli the Computer Guy on Youtube...:)
But if thats what your comfortable with then its up to you. I can't pretend to know how it's better or worse.
But if that license is expensive, I thought maybe you were trying to save it for some other project.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As others have said using a Windows Server license will be a waste especially as that type of corporate desktop will most likely activate when W10 Pro is installed.

What version of Windows Server are you talking about? Wouldn't really consider anything lower than 2016 to be honest if you were going to go down the server route.

AFAIK W10 and Server 2016 are built on the same/similar architecture so I don't think you'd be missing out or gaining anything significant between the 2.

gawws

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2012R2 licenses available, but I would be willing to get 2016/2019/2022 Essential licenses if it added stability.

I will be remote most of the time and will primarily be using the web server functionality rather than console. Given that, it seems logical that the server OS would be more stable. Granted I may be overthinking it, but if server class software (or hardware) make a difference, I am willing to do it.

Dbirkett

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running a R730xd server (enterprise server hardware), and installed windows 10 pro just to avoid licensing cost. No issues with the setup. If you're really concerned, look at windows 10 2019 LTSC and HWID activation