Windows 10 - Auto Startup Problem w/ Blue Iris

spanishcop

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris 4.0 running my home security system on my computer at home and recently installed Windows 10 (Clean Install).

I’ve added Blue Iris to the Startup folder so it will launch application after bootup, but for some reason, Blue Iris will not auto start.

Every time I try to launch the program manually, I get a popup message saying “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?”.

I have answered this “YES button" several times. I can’t seem to find a way around this. If someone could please provide me with assistance.

I need Blue Iris to automatically launch as soon as computer reboots so that the security system is running should there be a power failure or windows update that triggers my computer to restart.

Thank You in advance for any assistance,
Michael

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Every time I try to launch the program manually, I get a popup message saying “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?”.
Hi Michael,

Have you considered disabling UAC? I realize this is a potential security risk but I believe that is the issue you are encountering. Not sure why it's not remembering the preferences you set. I always turn it off first thing with a fresh PC.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My recommendation is that you run BI as a service. See the Startup tab under BI Options. If there is a reason you don't want to run it as a service, perhaps clearing the checkbox to "Require run-as-Administrator", also on the Startup tab, will get rid of the popup.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris 4.0 running my home security system on my computer at home and recently installed Windows 10 (Clean Install).

I’ve added Blue Iris to the Startup folder so it will launch application after bootup, but for some reason, Blue Iris will not auto start.

I have answered this “YES button" several times. I can’t seem to find a way around this. If someone could please provide me with assistance.

I need Blue Iris to automatically launch as soon as computer reboots so that the security system is running should there be a power failure or windows update that triggers my computer to restart.

Thank You in advance for any assistance,
Michael
Run it as a service. This is what i do with Windows 10. All I needed to do was check the box in the settings to run as as service. Now as soon as the PC boots and the OS loads, before login, the BI4 service is running. And I can access BI4 from other devices. or I can log into the PC and run BI4 like before and see the cameras etc. I only wish I had run it as a service with Windows 8.1.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am new at this and have a have a quick question: I too was wondering how to get my BI4 to load automatically after a power failure but I think I found the answer right here. I am waiting on my new Dell Optiplex 9020 which will arrive on Monday. It comes with Win 7 Pro 64 bit and I am wondering if I should just leave it alone or is there any advantage to upgrading right away to Windows 10? I have been out of the Windows loop for several years so I'm not sure what the advantages or disadvantages may be between the two versions. I will be using this computer strictly for use with Blue Iris 4 and nothing else. Any thoughts on this?

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is very easy to do following the link that fenderman posted above. You simply have to replace ccleaner with Blue Iris. If I get time this weekend I'll post Blue Iris dedicated instructions to make it simple for those that are not proficient with computers... This question seems to get asked a lot.

I think I'll add basic auto login to the instructions. Do not disable UAC.

In the mean time read this link to have Windows 10 automatically start on boot. Method 2, though harder is my preferred method due to it being more stable.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

Last edited by a moderator:

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I now have Windows 10 setup where I have bypassed the login screen (as explained in the link above, thank you). I also added the BlueIrisAdmin.exe to my Startup folder as a shortcut but when I reboot the PC, while I do successfully bypass login, the BlueIris program does not open. I am taken only to my desktop after boot up just as though I never added BI to my Startup folder. I told 'BI to run as a service' in the setup (in case this matters) as I saw it suggested above. Any suggestions as to how I can get BI to open automatically upon startup? The idea is that I want it to open after the PC recovers from a power outage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I now have Windows 10 setup where I have bypassed the login screen (as explained in the link above, thank you). I also added the BlueIrisAdmin.exe to my Startup folder as a shortcut but when I reboot the PC, while I do successfully bypass login, the BlueIris program does not open. I am taken only to my desktop after boot up just as though I never added BI to my Startup folder. I told 'BI to run as a service' in the setup (in case this matters) as I saw it suggested above. Any suggestions as to how I can get BI to open automatically upon startup? The idea is that I want it to open after the PC recovers from a power outage.
if you follow the directions in the post above you dont have to run as a service. Also in blue iris options>startup, window> select, go full screen

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fenderman: I unchecked the choice for "Run as service" as you suggest and also changed to full screen, but I don't understand what there is the follow in the 'post above'. Are you referring to the one by WCrowder and the comment "you simply have to replace ccleaner with Blue Iris." I get my head around what ccleaner has to do with any of this. After making those changes that you suggest I rebooted but BI still does not open.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman: I unchecked the choice for "Run as service" as you suggest and also changed to full screen, but I don't understand what there is the follow in the 'post above'. Are you referring to the one by WCrowder and the comment "you simply have to replace ccleaner with Blue Iris." I get my head around what ccleaner has to do with any of this. After making those changes that you suggest I rebooted but BI still does not open.
Follow these directions http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you. I will dig into it in the morning and will forget about trying to get it to startup with the startup folder.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It mentions Windows 7 & 8 but is this also good for 10?

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
fenderman: This worked! Many thanks. I am surprised that Microsoft did just create a checkbox to "remember this choice" within that window that pops up so that we don't have to go through such a lengthy process to get past it. I'm sure they have their reasons. Anyway, this appears to be a very clever way around it and i am grateful to the person who took the time to share this.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
fenderman: I am trying to setup my Android App for BI4 with no luck" Unable to reach server". Am I supposed to be creating a separate connection for each camera and each cameras unique password... or am I supposed to be setting up some sort of general connection to the BI4 software via my LAN with a port number on the end which then displays all of connected cameras? I can't find any info relating to this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman: I am trying to setup my Android App for BI4 with no luck" Unable to reach server". Am I supposed to be creating a separate connection for each camera and each cameras unique password... or am I supposed to be setting up some sort of general connection to the BI4 software via my LAN with a port number on the end which then displays all of connected cameras? I can't find any info relating to this.
You only need to forward a single port. You need to enable and setup the "webserver" in the webserver tab.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay, this makes sense and now I see the info its looking for. Quick question: what user name and password is it looking for, relating to what? The PC password has already been bypassed (I believe) and within BI4 I have created a password only for the camera itself for now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, this makes sense and now I see the info its looking for. Quick question: what user name and password is it looking for, relating to what? The PC password has already been bypassed (I believe) and I within BI4 I have created a password only for the camera itself for now.
blue iris options>users