Windows 10 auto updates and reboot, anyway to stop it?

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My PC is using Windows 10 Home and as we all know microsoft is forcing the updates. You can tell Windows 10 to notify you and schedule restarts but the problem is when you are away from home for days or a week at a time you can not schedule the reboot. Instead Windows 10 will reboot it self at 3:30am the following day after a update was downloaded.

I run BI and weather software 24/7. You can add the software to run on startup but my weather software takes a few min to shut down if you don't wait the log files get corrupt.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you have pro you can tell it to notify on updates instead of downloading and restarting through the group policy or registry edit. if you on home or pro, you can tell it that it can't download updates over a metered connection, then tell it your connection is metered.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you have pro you can tell it to notify on updates instead of downloading and restarting through the group policy or registry edit. if you on home or pro, you can tell it that it can't download updates over a metered connection, then tell it your connection is metered.
I'm hard wired so i can't set it as metered.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your out of luck then. the best you can do is schedule for a time that works best for you and if you have a issue with a one off update, just block the one with the troubleshooting tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

hopefully someone come up with a patch to apply so that you can get notifications (instead of windows just installing them) like on the pro version.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How long can you defer updates with the windows 10 pro?

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
forever as far as i can tell, it just keep nagging you to download/install them. i haven't waited more than a day though so i can't say for sure.

copy and paste the following into a .reg file (make with text editor) than run it:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
forever as far as i can tell, it just keep nagging you to download/install them. i haven't waited more than a day though so i can't say for sure.

copy and paste the following into a .reg file (make with text editor) than run it:

Code:

Thanks i'll be buying Pro here soon.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Code:

Zorac. Do you know if windows 10 pro the defer upgrades option only defers software updates? Searching google it says even if you have defer checked it will still download security updates.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dont know yet! except for flash security update, i haven't had a security update come through yet.

iStealth

n3wb
Reaction score
go to the search bar and type in group policy.
under local computer policy go to administrative template > system > windows Components > windows updates

it should look like this

on the right side Click on configure automatic updates
click enable and under options click on the drop down box and Select #2
apply and Save
then restart pc

now it will notify you when there is an update but will let you choose if you want to download it or not.

Attachments

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help after doing the group policy updates is grayed out.

Attachments

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Left my PC alone for a few days to see this message. PC did not reboot or anything it just will not let you do anything until you click on get updates.

Attachments

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can actually disable the windows update service but if you do you should at least turn it on and run updates once in a while.