Windows 10. Can updates be reliably disabled?

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There has been a lot of drama in the media about forced windows 10 updates. Especially from users that are trying to run some kind of server or need the machine to always be available. I seemed to have read somewhere that you can disable them in 10 if you have pro? I've also read a few reports that if you shut down the update service it doesn't always stay off.

Just asking if there is a sure way to disable updates on 10 or if anyone is concerned about missing footage when a update is happening?

LonnieU

n3wb
Reaction score
AFAIK, this still works.

Windows 8 & 10 won't use a "metered" Internet connection for updating as it might incur the user $$ for the data used. Cellphone connection for example.

By default, an Ethernet or similar connection is considered "non-metered" but the registry settings were discovered many moons ago to make all your Internet connections look like a metered connection.

If you search "Windows 10 Metered Connections", you can find it documented and see if this is what you might want to try. Seems I have seen some scripts created to do it all for you automatically.

Here is just one link to a forum discussing this:
How to Set an Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 8 and 10

Also a way to do it with Group Policy's if your using Pro or higher:
How to stop Windows 10 auto updates

As always, YMMV...

Good Luck!

Last edited:

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you pay for Windows 10 or are you using the free upgrade version? I dont think you can "disable" updates if you are on the free upgrade version. There are ways to hack around it but M$ wont let you do it.

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
not running 10 on my old BI machine. Just evaluating options if I upgrade.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is possible to disable automatic updates. Old school way is to just open Services and disable the update service, but if you do this you won't be able to check for new updates until you start the service.

Better way is to install and use the Windows Update Minitool. This lets you disable automatic updates, but still search for and selectively install any updates you want manually.

Edit: if your Blue Iris machine is setup well (on its own VLAN/subnet, with no open access through your firewall except for the BI interface, which you're preferably using SSL to expose), there's very little danger to disabling automatic updates, but you should still take the time to install all security and cumulative updates to keep your Windows install up to date and secure.

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I'm starting to think the easiest way will be to just allow the machine to update and have a backup for important cams. that way I won't have to worry as much about finding work arounds to updates. I could make sure anymore cams I purchase have sd storage or can ftp video.