Windows 10 Edition

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Windows 10 Home okay for Blue Iris? Anything limited by this OS choice?

Finally looking to move off Windows 7.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You will have no problems with the Home edition. I use that version. Just watch out for the Microsoft updates, do not enable auto update.

Noslo

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using W10 ent with no issues. Windows updates can be an issue as it reboots randomly, but if you rung BI as a service you should be fine.

modo

n3wb
Reaction score
Home lacks native Remote Desktop support so you will need to use a 3rd party app if the BI machine is headless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh nice. Maybe I want Pro then. $150-200 ouch.
I would not pay 150 for windows. You can buy complete systems for 100 that already have pro installed. What is the spec on your pc?
also a quick google search indicates that many users have been able to use w7 keys on a clean w10 install...

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would not pay 150 for windows. You can buy complete systems for 100 that already have pro installed. What is the spec on your pc?
also a quick google search indicates that many users have been able to use w7 keys on a clean w10 install...
The Windows 7 key is used on a clean Windows 10 install ---IF--- that computer, was upgraded from a retail Windows 7 to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period of time. OEM versions will not work. It will not work on a different computer unless you call Microsoft and have the Retail Key verified and authorized for transfer to a different machine, the old machine must not still be running the upgraded Win 10.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears to be hard to find a refurbished machine with Windows 10 COA (certificate of authenticity). I want to be able to legally reinstall the OS and not have an issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears to be hard to find a refurbished machine with Windows 10 COA (certificate of authenticity). I want to be able to legally reinstall the OS and not have an issue.
you dont need a COA. As long as the machine had windows 10 installed at the time of sale OR it was updated to 10 its a valid license. They do not include coa on the machines anymore.

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
What's rather amusing is from Win7 onward Windows Desktop OS's make pretty good ad hoc servers. I've set up a lot of 2008 and 2012 servers and see zero difference in resources or performance with things like BI.

Technically you aren't supposed to run Windows desktop OS's as servers because of CALs and such, but all it shows is how little difference there is between the kernels.

Last edited: