Windows 10 Hyper-V Guest Blue Iris network drop out

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to work out why my BlueIris Hyper-V guest is occasionally dropping the network for about 5 seconds every few minutes.....
I have been using BlueIris for about 2 years as a Hyper-V guest without issue. I upgraded my guest from Windows 8 to 10 about a month ago. But only noticed the network dropping out since playing with the brilliant app Blue Iris Viewer (Love it) a few days ago......

It is definitely the BlueIris VM that is dropping out. All cameras, host, switches, firewall etc etc perform perfectly.
Today I moved the Hyper-V guest to a new Hyper-V host. With no change in behavior. So new physical host, new nic. Tried plugging it into different switches. Behavior doesn't change.
Host doesn't drop out and other guests are fine.
Plenty of RAM and HDD free space.
Guest had a shared nic on previous host, now has dedicated nic in new host. Behavior is identical....
The network doesn't cut out in the sense that the network connection still says it is connected, traffic simply stops / get dropped / doesn't respond.
If I close BlueIris, the issue of the network dropping out stops. If I increase traffic... via BlueIris for IOS or BlueIris Viewer the dropouts become more common. If I stop the BlueIris service the dropouts stop..

So it is not:
NIC related.
Hyper-V host related
cable related
switch related
camera etc related

It is either Windows 10 or BlueIris.
Or:
I will try moving the guest VHD (virtual harddrive) to a new disk. I moved the physical BlueIris disks from the old host to the new host. So once I have done this, assuming it doesn't fix the problem, it would suggest it is a Windows 10 or BlueIris bug... (Windows 10 and Bugs..........!!!!!....#*(&#*(!!!)

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting. I just (yesterday) set up a new Windows 10 Hyper-V guest with 2 Top-201 cameras (yeah, no budget) to monitor a server room.
Will let you know if I experience anything similar.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No network dropouts, but not happy with the event captures, seems to miss the first 5-7 seconds of motion, even though it shows the beginning of the motion trigger in the event thumbnail. Will start a new thread on that.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what virtual network interface are you using? virtio or an emulated intel?

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
It is not BlueIris....
i just stopped the BlueIris service and tried copying a 6.5gb file to the VM. The network would drop in and out until the copy failed after about 30 seconds......
So perhaps the wrong forum to discuss this problem as it appears to be Windows 10. I didn't have this problem with Windows 8 in the same vm setup.

the network stops but there is not indication this has happened in the Vm other than the fact packets stop moving. Windows doesn't report as being disconnected and the Vm itself doesn't freeze or stop responding.

I am using the standard guest Nic driver. Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter. The guest tools are all up to date. I will try reinstalling the Nic.

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
I seem to have resolved the problem by removing the NIC from the Hyper-V settings for the guest whilst the guest was shutdown. Booted the guest with no nic. Logged in, shutdown. Added the nic again, gave it the same mac address and started the guest. Problem gone and now working well again. (I did temporarily assign a different physical nic, didn't expereince a problem, so whilst the VM was running, I change the nic back to the dedicated nic in the hyper-v settings, which it allows you to do whilst the guest is running... The dedicated original nic continued to work....)

I had removed the nic drivers in the guest and had rebooted. It wasn't until I completely removed the nic from the Hyper-V settings that the problem disappear upon adding the nic back.......

Happy Camper!

Can you or do you need to mark threads as answered with this forum?

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted.
I HAVE seen the Hyper-V V-switch flake out before a couple of times.
Usually once right after install, then once you drop it, and reconnect it it's fine for good.