Windows 10 OS rev for BI - Home or Pro

Gh()st

n3wb
Reaction score
Any advantage to going with Pro over Home for a DIY BI NVR? Initial setup will be for 2 - 3 Dahua Starlights, with a max of 8 if/when deemed needed.

Essential hardware specs that have already been purchased:
i5-7500 Kaby Lake (65W) <-- It was free, so hard to pass up on the offering.
H270 based mini-ITX mobo
16GB DDR4
240 GB M.2 SSD
2 x 4 TB WD Purples (will be in RAID 1 config)

I may add 2 more WD Red's in the future as another RAID 1 array for local NAS purposes. The use of NAS services will be almost entirely back/storage, with potential audio/video content streaming. (our media consumption is almost entirely Netflix/Amazon, so a NAS for streaming stored content is not needed at this time)

I'm at the point of picking up the OS, and start the install. I was going with Pro initially, but after thinking about things I'm wondering if Home will be plenty sufficient for BI purposes (and basic NAS later down the road).

Reaction score
Any advantage to going with Pro over Home for a DIY BI NVR? Initial setup will be for 2 - 3 Dahua Starlights, with a max of 8 if/when deemed needed.

Essential hardware specs that have already been purchased:
i5-7500 Kaby Lake (65W) <-- It was free, so hard to pass up on the offering.
H270 based mini-ITX mobo
16GB DDR4
240 GB M.2 SSD
2 x 4 TB WD Purples (will be in RAID 1 config)

I may add 2 more WD Red's in the future as another RAID 1 array for local NAS purposes. The use of NAS services will be almost entirely back/storage, with potential audio/video content streaming. (our media consumption is almost entirely Netflix/Amazon, so a NAS for streaming stored content is not needed at this time)

I'm at the point of picking up the OS, and start the install. I was going with Pro initially, but after thinking about things I'm wondering if Home will be plenty sufficient for BI purposes (and basic NAS later down the road).
Pro is better for many reasons including security and remote access options. I found website in UK that sells Win10 Pro keys for about $13.

Windows 10 Professional (32/64 Bit) 94% OFF

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know about that, but Xbox Live and Windows codes I bought have been working for 3 years and the website is still around. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
The fact that they work, at least for now, does not negate the fact that they are not legit..

Gh()st

n3wb
Reaction score
The miser/scrooge in me wanted to find an alternative to giving Uncle Bill extra dinero for Pro if it wasn't justified, but in the end "you get what you pay for" still holds true.