Windows 10 "System" Process With Blue Iris

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't been using Windows 10 for very long--on my Win10 computer dedicated to BI, BI uses roughly 21-24% cpu. The other big cpu user is the "System" process (ntoskrnl.exe), which uses about 3-5% when BI is running. When BI is not running, "System" barely registers. Is this normal? Haven't found any IPCamtalk discussion about this...just google hits that talk about abnormal "System" cpu usage as it relates to the windows search service, fragmented hd, etc.

Maekonesot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

You didn't supply enough information. What is the total of Mega Pixels per second you are processing ? (Total pixels of all cameras x frame rate)

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
22.6% CPU share for Blue Iris looks reasonable to me. Make certain you are running "Direct To Disk" for all cameras. You could drop that CPU usage down a tad by lowering your frame rates. What CPU is Blue Iris running on?

Maekonesot

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like you are using Constant Bit Rate from cameras? What is the reason to do it? Try to set: Variable Bit Rate, I-frame interval = frame rate, quality best if you wish.

Maekonesot

n3wb
Reaction score
When the scene in front of any camera is quiet the bitrate will be low and kB/s will be low. Feeding CBR to the processor eats processor cycles. Not all cameras see movement at the same time and average CPU usage will go down when CBR will be switched to VBR. Give it a try...

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Definitely a reasonable CPU usage...happy with it and Blue Iris performance. I'm using a HP Elitedesk 800 G4 with 8th generation Intel i7-8700 3.20 GHz [16GB RAM]--thanks to Fenderman for steering me in this direction. All cams are Constant Bitrate just because I prefer it over Variable--should I run into high cpu usage in the future I'll tinker with VBR. Also running direct-to-disc. As a Windows 10 newbie, I was just curious if the "System" process was supposed to be high/low relative to Blue Iris operating or not. If in fact hardware acceleration explains the level of CPU usage for System (ntoskrnl.exe), then that's fine with me; I simply wanted to make sure it wasn't abnormal. Thanks for your responses!

Maekonesot

n3wb
Reaction score
"System process" means many thousands of interrupts caused by very high rate of TCP/IP packets. You feed constantly 100Mbit without reasonable reason. I have the same camera count and some cameras have higher resolution. I have AMD Ryzen7 2700x + Gtx1050 = 7% CPU + 10% Nvidia. Intel should be better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"System process" means many thousands of interrupts caused by very high rate of TCP/IP packets. You feed constantly 100Mbit without reasonable reason. I have the same camera count and some cameras have higher resolution. I have AMD Ryzen7 2700x + Gtx1050 = 7% CPU + 10% Nvidia. Intel should be better.
Blueiris doesn't care about bitrate much.