Windows 10

SteveGB

n3wb
Reaction score
Am I correct that BI will run under Win 10?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
In about 5 years I'll probably (hopefully) be considering a Windows phone.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I upgraded my Blue Iris 4 machine to Windows 10 this morning. I did need to re-enter my BI4 registration info. But after that it was fine. And using BI4 was like before the upgrade to Windows 10.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I intend to upgrade my BI machine within the next few days. Since you say this kills the BI activation, I think I will deactivate BI first before I upgrade!

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
export your BI registry keys first, then reimport after the Win10 upgrade.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the registry keys would be lost by the win10 upgrade. The system's unique identifier is likely what is changing, causing BI's activation to be invalidated as it thinks it is on a different computer than the one it was activated on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just did an in place upgrade to 10, on a mule machine at the office, to test some software we run...update was flawless...10 looks good to me, going to clean install on the rest in a few months...

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think the registry keys would be lost by the win10 upgrade. The system's unique identifier is likely what is changing, causing BI's activation to be invalidated as it thinks it is on a different computer than the one it was activated on.
Whatever the reason, i just needed to re-enter the key. All my files and settings were still intact.

It initially came up showing that there were zero days left in the evaluation period. i was worried when i saw that at first, but luckily after entering the registration key again, all the settings info was there. Worst case i could have used my most recent backup to get the info. But I was glad I didn't need to mess with it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated to Windows 10 on two machines this morning. The update process was fine, but I've had a few quirks with both systems.

My Blue Iris system:

In-place upgrade from Windows 8.1. After rebooting, I decided I did not like the start menu that is default in Windows 10. So I installed classic shell. This did not work out as I had hoped. Attempting to open the start menu crashed explorer. So I found my way to the control panel and uninstalled it. Rebooted, and reinstalled classic shell. Then it worked fine. No other problems yet.

My main PC:

In-place upgrade from Windows 7. On the first boot after the upgrade, it only detected one of my 3 monitors and would not let me change the monitor's resolution. I chalked this up to the Nvidia graphics driver being out of date, so I downloaded the latest Windows 10 Nvidia driver but it failed to install. I rebooted the system and my monitors were correctly detected. I re-installed the Nvidia driver package and this time it worked fine.

Explorer froze up once, just as I was finishing a Java update. I had to kill explorer.exe and start it again. It could be minor incompatibilities with Classic Shell or DisplayFusion, which I also have instaleld. Hard to say. I am sure this problem, if it continues, will resolve itself within a few months as things get updated.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope to be doing my in place upgrade of a Win7 machine tonight. I am just a little concerned as this is a Mac Mini running bootcamp Windows 7. Just hoping that all goes well since this is my BI machine ;)

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My BI server is still on Win 8.1, but my PC I use most of the day, I upgraded to Win 10. My only BI related hiccup is that if I wanted to view a feed from BI and hear non-delayed sound, I always had to use BI Default webpages within Internet Explorer, using the Activex side. With "Edge", Activex is not an option. So the closest I can get to that now is to use bp2008's pages in Chrome with slightly delayed sound.

Am I missing any tricks or browser combo within Win10 for undelayed viewing of BI served pages?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did the upgrade just a bit ago and most went well. My BI needed the registration code again, like others have said already. The other thing is that the CPU usage being reported by BI is now WAY off. I did an update to the latest version of BI (4.1.2.0) tonight also, but didn't notice if it was due to Win 10 or BI update.

Anyone else running 4.1.2.0 that is seeing this?

Attachments

jasong127

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did the upgrade, but when I enter my registration code, it doesn't allow me to hit the NEXT button. Even got it directly from regnow.com to make sure it was the right one. My entire security system is now dead. PLEASE HELP!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did the upgrade, but when I enter my registration code, it doesn't allow me to hit the NEXT button. Even got it directly from regnow.com to make sure it was the right one. My entire security system is now dead. PLEASE HELP!!!
Double check the code...

jasong127

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did... over and over. Same code that was in my email as the one that came directly from REGNOW.COM. Even after I downloaded the program again, it still won't accept it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did... over and over. Same code that was in my email as the one that came directly from REGNOW.COM. Even after I downloaded the program again, it still won't accept it.
are you copying and pasting the code or typing it?