Windows 11 on i5-8500 system running Blue Iris - opinions/comments?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Any opinions about Window 11 vs Window 10 for a Blue Iris system. Any pro's or con's I should know about? What do you think about an i5-8500 for a 12 camera Blue Iris system (4MP cams)?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go with Windows 10 as that is what Blue Iris is currently designed for.

Too many people are coming here with issues after updating to Windows 11. But some people have had no problem. But why risk it. Absolutely zero need to run an untested platform for Blue Iris.

That machine will be fine. People are running 50 cameras on a 4th gen at sub 40% CPU. Just follow every optimization in the wiki.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback....I'm moving towards setting up a new system for my parents so just doing some initial legwork.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback....I'm moving towards setting up a new system for my parents so just doing some initial legwork.
FWIW, you will likely find Win 10 Pro more readily available in new, off the shelf PCs, especially online like from Dell, than Windows 10 Home....and that's not a bad thing, IMO.

Many, many good refurbs also found with either 10 Pro or 10 Home.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely use Windows 10 over Windows 11.

Windows 11 doesn't even have Windows Internet explorer which many cameras require in order to give you full control and change settings reliably.

If you are looking to purchase a Windows 10 license, I highly recommend VIP-scdkey. They sell legitimate OEM licenses for Windows and other programs. OEM means you generally cannot transfer the license to another machine, but the prices are so low that I simply buy a new license when I get a new machine. Windows 10 Pro licenses are in the $15-20 range. I have bought many licenses (Windows, Microsoft Office, etc) through the years from them and have never had a problem. Buying a full retail license just doesn't make sense IMHO when these are available. PS - it makes you sick to think that MS is obviously selling Windows 10 Pro OEM licenses to builders for probably $5-10 each (or less) and they sell the retail key for $199 on their website.

Last edited:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before even pre-purchasing a new license, you should know that many of the used business class/off-lease machines for sale on Ebay will not even need a new Windows 10 (often Pro) license, as they are already tied to the BIOS/UEFI firmware, so it should just reactivate if reinstalling from a bare/wiped system. Look for used Dells and HPs, my personal preference being the HP Elitedesk G4 with exactly the i5-8500 CPU you were looking for. There is a great thread on here discussing these, I can vouch for them as well, nice easy to work on, room for two 3.5" (full size) HDDs, and low power consumption.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you buy a Business machine Like HP Elitedesk g4 800 it has the i5-8500 and a Pro license for WIn 10.
That's what I run.
18 cameras. No problem. Spread across 2 HDD's for longer file retention. ( Condo Complex)
think this should handle 11 cams then?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
24/7 uptime since March of last year. no crashes, 1 freeze ( my fault) when I moved up to BI Ver. 5.4.7.11, for substreams, and had rechecked Jpegs on by default for 5 -6 cameras.
But in the new software the default was " continous" so I missed that detail at first. :)

And I had to turn off Hardware acceleration, first cam by cam,,, then somebody told about the globally toggling it in "Settings/Cameras tab".

And 1 video driver error in 1st week of operation,But @fenderman linked me to the intel graphics driver version for March of 2020 I believe, on their site. :thumb: At the time, that was the better driver.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
24/7 uptime since March of last year. no crashes, 1 freeze ( my fault) when I moved up to BI Ver. 5.4.7.11, for substreams, and had rechecked Jpegs on by default for 5 -6 cameras.
But in the new software the default was " continous" so I missed that detail at first. :)

And I had to turn off Hardware acceleration, first cam by cam,,, then somebody told about the globally toggling it in "Settings/Cameras tab".

And 1 video driver error in 1st week of operation,But @fenderman linked me to the intel graphics driver version for March of 2020 I believe, on their site. :thumb: At the time, that was the better driver.
Yeah, my current setup isn't cutting it, took 10 min to search through a video and cut out a section. I just don't have the patience for it anymore.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't skimp on the Surveillance Drive. if you buy 4TB drives for desktop quite a few now use SMR, or 'Shingled Magnetic Recording" for getting every bit and byte they can on a platter.
I had a WD blue in my first machine. and another WD white lable 5 TB. together they made problems for me. laggy,
I'm sold on the 8TB WD Purz

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.