Windows Update and now nothing works

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning everyone,

So i waited for the weekend to tinker on some projects and found that my BI machine was waiting to do the latest WINDOWS update with the new MS Edge browser. After the reboot BI5 opened to an expired 15 day trial.
Tried restoring my .reg and got an error . unable to import key--adjust permissions
Tried putting in my key and it will not allow me to click the button at the end. its gray.
Tried uninstalling BI4 - nada
Tried to repair the install - just hangs
Tried to reinstall BI5 and it opens now to a NEW 15 day trial. I left it here because its at least recording albeit with the watermark over it.

Any help would be amazing if ya can..

Steve

EDITED

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Revert back to the version just before your support expired or cough up the cash to extend support...see these threads - one of many...I suspect you also must have BI on auto-update - disable that!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Numerous threads about this. It's because your support ran out.
You can renew it, and all will be good again.
Its $30.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My support was renewed last month. Thats when it was up. So i renewed... then updated with ZERO issues. I updated WINDOWS last night.... NOT BI5 just to be clear.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My support was renewed last month. Thats when it was up. So i renewed... then updated with ZERO issues. I updated WINDOWS last night.... NOT BI5 just to be clear.
Updating Windows 10 at any time, is always a crap shoot. MS no longer knows how to test updates.
Block updates for at least 30 days or longer.
If you have your network setup correctly, there is no need for Windows Security updates.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably need to delete BI out of the Windows Registry and re-install?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What licenses keys do you have, I remember reading a post here where somebody was entering the wrong key but that thread was different but worth checking?

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What licenses keys do you have, I remember reading a post here where somebody was entering the wrong key but that thread was different but worth checking?
I have the original key that i purchase. I verified it via my phone app. Its correct. BI5 doesnt like it tho. no error just leaves the next button gray.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the original key that i purchase. I verified it via my phone app. Its correct. BI5 doesnt like it tho. no error just leaves the next button gray.
To clarify, you need to use the original license key (if you upgraded from 4 you need the 4 key, if you started with 5 you need the original 5 key) not the upgrade key. Are you adding the dashes or leaving them out?

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To clarify, you need to use the original license key (if you upgraded from 4 you need the 4 key, if you started with 5 you need the original 5 key) not the upgrade key. Are you adding the dashes or leaving them out?
I have tried both ways. no difference. hand typed them and also pasted.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Solved - i tried it again and it accepted my key. Tried it over 5 times today... this time it allowed me to activate it. shrug I think its time to redo the machine anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input.