Wired Recording Of IP Cameras

Reaction score
Ok so I am planning on making a setup of IP cameras that I wish to record.

I am going to have 8 IP cameras but I am going to record them using Ethernet cables directly plugged in rather then using the internet. I am wondering how I can record these as obviously my computer does not have 8 Ethernet ports. What is the best way of recording and viewing these wired cameras?

I was thinking of plugging them all into an Ethernet switch and then having one Ethernet cable running from that to my PC; I would then use software to record them all. But will this work and enable me to use the pan/rotate functions of each of the cameras? If this idea does work will I be able to use a POE switch to power all of the cameras just using the Ethernet cables?

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, use a PoE switch.. plug everything into same network and record to a local NVR service. I would urge you to dedicate a (low power) computer to the recording instead of trying to dual purpose a computer you use for other work.

Pan Tilt will depend on your cameras and if the NVR software supports it..

I would urge you to do some reading on setting up a basic home network, you dont need to be a network engineer by any means but you will need to know at a basic level how it all works to configure everything correctly... An IP Camera is just another device on the network, no different than a laptop/workstation/mobile etc..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What cameras do you intend to buy? Where are you placing these cameras?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pan tilt hints that you may be doing this with low-end cameras...? It seems only entry level, low-end cameras OR high-end cameras support PTZ. If you were going to get a bunch of the sub $100 ones with PTZ, I'd recommend not bothering and instead just getting decent fixed cameras. With 2-3 MP and a sufficient field of view you'll almost certainly cover everything you're trying to get.

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast replies!

The cameras I am thinking of getting support 2 way audio and the NVR I am planning on getting has an audio input port. If I plug a microphone into that port will it enable me to use this 2 way audio function or will it have to be plugged into a PC with that runs the cameras software?

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you'll have both of those options available to you, not just one or the other.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the model of the camera and the model of the NVR?