Wireless Battery Powered HD IP Cameras for Blue Iris

earl.foote

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anybody used any Wireless Battery Powered HD IP Cameras for Blue Iris that work well and you recommend?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The closest thing you will find to this is a cell phone or tablet running an app that streams video from the camera. There are apps for iOS and for Android but I have only tried one for Android called IP Webcam. It works well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en

Here is a thread where someone needed help setting it up with Blue Iris:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/troubleshooting/2986-using-ip-webcam-blue-iris.html

The problem is of course battery life. If you want it to work longer than an hour or two it will need to be plugged in or you'll need a 3rd party extended capacity battery or something.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so for a permanent-ish install you definitely would not want to use a phone or something. You will obviously be feeding power to the cams anyway, so the battery is just so they survive outages, right?

They don't say anything about the battery on that cam you linked. I bet it is Blue Iris compatible, but why compromise so much on camera quality just for a battery when you could get better cameras and power them through a UPS? All my cameras are powered by a PoE switch on a 1500VA UPS, such that if the power goes out they should last 5 or 10 minutes at least. Longer during the day when IR is off.

earl.foote

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Actually this situation is a bit different. We would be installing around 25 cameras in an old existing building. There is no Ethernet or power right now at the needed camera locations. Trying to add Ethernet (PoE) or power will add $5000 or more to the project. There are battery powered Wireless HD IP cameras available on the market with 3 to 6 month battery lives, but none that Blue Iris has tested/verified with their software. Mostly I am curious if anybody has used or found any BI compatible wireless HD IP battery powered cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I see. You must be referring to products similar to Netgear Arlo. Those are not Blue Iris compatible for the simple reason that Blue Iris works by pulling a continuous video stream, but doing that would reduce the battery life to a matter of hours. These devices can only achieve such battery life by sleeping most of the time, and as such the battery life varies dramatically depending on the level of activity in an area.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Actually this situation is a bit different. We would be installing around 25 cameras in an old existing building. There is no Ethernet or power right now at the needed camera locations. Trying to add Ethernet (PoE) or power will add $5000 or more to the project. There are battery powered Wireless HD IP cameras available on the market with 3 to 6 month battery lives, but none that Blue Iris has tested/verified with their software. Mostly I am curious if anybody has used or found any BI compatible wireless HD IP battery powered cameras.
The camera you linked to is not battery powered - and its junk....
As bp says you cannot use battery powered cams with blue iris...either run ethernet or dont install the cameras...

jalsmiley

n3wb
Reaction score
there is an arlo netg cam with battery like you are describing...since bi can do manual setups multiple ways they can probably work...maybe...but if no one has tried buy one and test it out...idk what kind of battery life you would get though!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI Your never going to get 25 cameras on wireless, lol you'll be lucky to get 3 of em working reliably.. they share bandwidth and will not scale when they are streaming data non-stop

Run wires or forget about security cameras.. they are a mandatory requirement.

jalsmiley

n3wb
Reaction score
well he is talking about a large space so this def wouldnt be 25 cams on one crap router id hope! the right access points and setup and it can easily be done...it just probably isnt feasible bc youd be running around changing batteries all the time like a nut...but no different then in my office having 50 laptops simultaneously hitting the internet...actually the compressed streams on ipcams very light compared to pc blasting data off the internet at same time

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the right access point it cant be done, its vastly different than 50 laptops hitting the internet.. thats intermittent and easy to share; this is persistant.. its like trying to get 25 laptops streaming netflix/youtube 1080p at the same time and never buffering, 24h a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year... without interruption.. good fucking luck, never gonna happen.. you'd have to break the laws of Physics.

25 cameras streaming 24/7/365 HD Video is gonna need about 6 access points, and you have 3 channels to work with so it'd take very carefull design, setup and then it'd still be pure shit and unreliable.

None of the cameras are AC/N, they are almost all 802.11G and that is even more impossible as it makes the AP's run in compatibility mode and the entire networks performance is going to go right down the toilet.

Great high end enterprise access points start falling apart once you get beyond 3-4 HD Security cameras, WiFi is a large part of my career and I am a licensed radio operator.. I kinda know this shit.

Last edited:

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I exclude the fact that you expect to run 25 x FullHD cameras on WiFi over multiple building stages I do have a few questions :

Do you expect a 24/24 streaming ?
How long do you think the battery will last before needing a full charge ?
How do you think you'll do the full battery charge reload ?
What kind of battery do you plan to use ?

There is no way you find any camera running on a battery that will last for 3 to 6 months 24/24 the camera you may have found are camera based on PiR activation so the camera is off and only trigger when the PiR detect an activity then the camera will record something and go sleep again like all those wildlife camera you can hide in the woods.

Last edited:

jalsmiley

n3wb
Reaction score
i said right access points and setup not singular access point and you dont know much about bandwidth if you think 25 ipcams that max out at 1080 are anywhere in the same ballpark as similar number of laptops banging the internet at same time without throttled connections on oc3 pipe!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im just going to shake my head and not even bother responding to that nonsence; you clearly dont know your head from your ass..

jalsmiley

n3wb
Reaction score
oh really...so tell me what is the bandwidth stream on .264 compression at 1080p and please multiply it by 25 and come back to me with a number
btw i worked IT in all the major investment banks on wall st and now install for my own business so" i kinda know this stuff" too lol if you cant get 25 cams to work throughtout a building on enterprise grade aps you got issues

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, I'm a senior engineer with 10 years for the largest networking manufacturer in the world and before that I started 2 rural wireless internet providers and then sold them off for substancial profit.

I've been designing and building my own radios from scratch for decades; you picked the wrong dude to start a dick waving contest with.

hint: its not about network bandwidth; its about how many devices are talking non-stop all the time all on the same frequencies.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's no way that's going to work for shit. Even if you spend the thousands of dollars if would take to get that type setup borderline functioning you'd end up destroying the ability of all your non-camera devices to reliably use wifi.

You need to RADICALLY rethink this project. You'd be much better off installing a much smaller number of high quality cameras connected to wired ethernet and powered by PoE. When you've come to your senses if you describe the building and camera locations in more detail we'd still be will to provide advice about setting up a worthwhile wired system. Assuming the troll plauging this thread ever shuts up.

Last edited:

jalsmiley

n3wb
Reaction score
thats why you have channels and ent prise aps have focal points for there ant coverage duh...you obviously have not setup anything on large scale befre bc you have no clue!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, go for it bro.. prove me wrong, I'll love to see it...

better start working on that resume; im sure your boss is going to be soo pleased with this that he'll have to send you off to do more important things w/another company..

I work with clowns like you all the time; Ive forgotten more than you'll ever fucking know

You have 3 channels to work with, thats not nearly enough.. what are you one of those idiots who run shit something other than 1/6/11 not realizing they all overlap and your fucking up the entire band.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats why you have channels and ent prise aps have focal points for there ant coverage duh...you obviously have not setup anything on large scale befre bc you have no clue!
You seriously registered for this site just to troll this thread and promote shitty wifi cams?

Last edited: