Wireless bridge

Boel

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a wired installation with 6 POE cams from Dahua.
Now I would like to add a few ekstra cameras, but running ethernet to the location is not an option.
I do however have power present at the location.
I'm thinking that it's possible to set up a wireless bridge, so the new cameras connect to a POE switch that connects wirelessly to my existing network.
Is a connection like this stabile enough, and what kind of equipment would I need?

Kind regards

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Ubiquiti nanobeam dishes for situations like what you're describing. For a short link I turn the power all the way down (-4) and they work great.

Boel

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Ubiquiti nanobeam dishes for situations like what you're describing. For a short link I turn the power all the way down (-4) and they work great.
Do I need two of those, to make a PtP network, or can one connect to my existing wireless network?
The site where I need the camera is within WiFi coverage.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Also look at the Ubiquity Nano Station Loco. Yes, you need two pieces, one at the remote end and one at the head end and you will need a PoE switch at the remote end. What you're creating is a dedicated, encrypted, wireless link. While you can play the WiFi game, it just isn't reliable or secure enough, IMHO, for camera use. I have two cameras linked to my network using a pair of Nano Station Locos and it's solid as a rock. The cameras total out to 6MP, plus substreams at 720P, and I can probably add another four with no problem. Oh yeah, the Loco can provide a link a few kilometres long so distance shouldn't be much of a problem. Mine only bridge about 30 metres but are rock solid.

Last edited:

Vinci

n3wb
Reaction score
The standard Nanostation (non-loco) supports a downstream PoE port on the bridge. This would eliminate the need for a PoE switch if you're only running 1 camera at that location.

I don't have experience with the current generation, but I have been running a lot of earlier generation Nanostations in pairs as wireless bridges for years outdoors. They have been very reliable overall. I cannot comment if the Nanostations can work well (or at all) when connected back to a generic wireless access point. My deployments were always a pair of Nanostations due to their directional antenna and ability to reach further than a standard access point.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It was impossible to run an ethernet cable to a closet at the far end of the house where my NVR is located. So I had an old Cisco (Linksys) WRT54G (running DD-WRT) setup as a wireless bridge to my main router. It has been flawless for the past year. You can pick these routers up really cheap on ebay.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a wired installation with 6 POE cams from Dahua.
Now I would like to add a few ekstra cameras, but running ethernet to the location is not an option.
I do however have power present at the location.
I'm thinking that it's possible to set up a wireless bridge, so the new cameras connect to a POE switch that connects wirelessly to my existing network.
Is a connection like this stabile enough, and what kind of equipment would I need?

Kind regards
BTW, I may have missed it but what distance are we talking about?

Assuming you have good LOS (Line Of Sight) between the 2 points, I suggest a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridge, with appropriate POE switch for cameras, typical schema below but configured as needed:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The standard Nanostation (non-loco) supports a downstream PoE port on the bridge. This would eliminate the need for a PoE switch if you're only running 1 camera at that location.
True but it is not 802.3af POE, I believe it's 24VDC passive to power a similarly-powered Ubiquiti device.

My deployments were always a pair of Nanostations due to their directional antenna and ability to reach further than a standard access point.
Which is best also because of the ability to use the proprietary AirMax protocol between the 2 Ubiquiti radios.