Wireless Camera - Use Wifi Access Point?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
All,

My system:
Dahau NVR4216 --> POE switch --> tbd WiFi box --> tbd wireless camera (eg: Reolink RLC-410WS 4-Mp)

Should I use a WiFi Router or a WiFi Access Point?

My concern: Will the wireless cameras be on a different sub-net if they're on the other side of a WiFi Router? Some cameras will be plugged into the NVR (directly, or through POE switch).

So maybe the router functionality will cause headaches?

On the other hand, a WiFi Access Point lacks certain router capabilities, like security. Based on this newbie's reading....

Any guidance is appreciated!

Brian

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Will the wireless cameras be on a different sub-net if they're on the other side of a WiFi Router?
No, they won't, assuming the other side of your router, which would normally be an internet connection to your ISP, is not connected to anything.
On the other hand, a WiFi Access Point lacks certain router capabilities, like security.
Yes, true, however as it's just another device on your LAN, there is not quite the same 'external' and 'internal' demarcation as there is in a router between your LAN and the big bad internet.
Think of it like another switch, with the wireless behaving like a cable.
Some access points do provide network access controls in addition to authentication so you can limit what devices can use the WiFi.
You ISP router will provide security protection from internet sources, if you don't poke any holes in it by 'port forwarding'.
In both cases you will have to give the device an IP address, and probably disable any DHCP services it may offer.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
An "access point" is what you want, but a "wifi router" would work too with a little extra effort. Basically you have to disable the DHCP on the router and make sure its IP address is compatible with your current network, and don't use the WAN port for anything.

It is possible you do not even need another access point or router because your existing wifi router may be enough. It depends on if your NVR can access cameras only through its own POE ports or if it can connect through its normal LAN/management port. I don't use such NVRs so I can't answer that question myself, but I can't imagine why it would not be able to do this.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
alastairstevenson and bp2008,

Thanks for the guidance! I'll shop for an AP.
This system I'm assembling will be used on job sites (remodelling projects). We had $15K of tools stolen recently. The camera system will move from job site to job site. So any "existing wifi router" would belong to the homeowner. I don't want my camera video degrading their Netflix experience.

Meaning my system will be a separate network. My NVR host port will be connected to the homeowner's broadband connection. Only when I remotely view cameras on the job site will I be consuming the homeowner's bandwidth to/from the ISP.

The AP we discussed will be behind my NVR, which is behind the homeowner's modem/router. So I should be safe from the big bad internet. Meaning an AP should be fine (I don't need the security capabilities of a router).

I'll suppress SSID broadcast from the AP, just to ensure neighbors or subcontracts don't try to use my WiFi....

Brian

Thanks again!