Wireless Doorbell Camera Security without nvr

dmgaspari

n3wb
Reaction score
My first post: I found ipcmtalk a week or so ago and am delighted with the content! This is my first post, so please go easy on me. I plan on setting up a Blue Iris based system with a few Amcrest dome cams and a "smart" POE switch. However, I am struggling to finish configuring a system on paper, purchasing all the parts needed, and installing the full system. I got distracted in my research and impulsively purchased the Amcrest Doorbell camera from ipcamtalk store. My question is:

With just a couple of routers and no Blue Iris system (yet), what steps can I take to make the doorbell cam more secure than it is right out of the box?

I assume my options are pretty limited, but I'm hoping there are at least some minimal steps I can take to gain some security before I finish configuring and setting up my Blue Iris system. I have a ZyXEL C2100Z modem/router from my internet service provider. I also have an ASUS RT-AC68U router connected to a LAN port on my ZyXEL router. I don't have any other networking hardware. I plan storing video to micro SD card for now and using the Amcrest Smart Home app to answer the door and see the camera video on my iPhone 6. Am I taking a huge risk to use the doorbell cam without a full Blue Iris system?