Wireless indoor dev-friendly cameras

cronus98

n3wb
Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm looking for a wireless camera for indoor use, and the options i've found thus far are pretty abysmal. i'd love some recommendations!

what i need:
-wireless
-HD (preferably 1080p+)
-RTSP or other open protocols (i'm a dev and want to write software to do things like timelapse video from a PC)
-decent zoom (~4x or better)

what i DON'T need:
-subscription/cloud storage
-night vision
-motion detection
-voice/audio

my budget is around $100 +/-50

thanks!

mike

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any of the wireless cameras from Dahua or Hikvision would meet your requirements except zoom. Dahua has a better api.

Generally ethernet is preferred over wifi whenever possible. If you want zoom you need a varifocal camera or a PTZ, there aren't many of these worth owning with wifi built in.

cronus98

n3wb
Reaction score
Any of the wireless cameras from Dahua or Hikvision would meet your requirements except zoom. Dahua has a better api.

Generally ethernet is preferred over wifi whenever possible. If you want zoom you need a varifocal camera or a PTZ, there aren't many of these worth owning with wifi built in.
thanks for the response, tangent. totally understand ethernet over wifi, but it would be pretty hap-hazard for my purposes. i did consider going usb and a raspberry pi, but i'm guessing drivers would be a pain.