Wireless LCD Monitor for IP Camera - Recommendations?

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been looking around for a LCD monitor, akin to the kind that come with baby monitors, for IP cameras. Preferably connecting to the NVR (perhaps even the blue iris/xprotect). A device with a touchscreen(or just hardware controls), lets you see multiple feeds, choose one and do things like PTZ. All I've found is expensive testing equipment or apps.

The reason I'm looking for something like that in place of a "convenient" smartphone/tablet app is that the baby monitor LCD is very easy to use. Press a button once and you see what you need to. It's wireless, does PTZ and has a stand.

Say what you will, but unlocking a device and then tapping on an icon that spends 5-6 seconds loading is just not the user experience I'm looking for. I suspect that any electronic hardware+software solution will probably have the same load time if it is trying to establish a new connection every time the display is turned on.

Perhaps one could buy an inexpensive android tablet, run an IP cam app and leave it on all day with some setting that prevents it from locking screen but allows turning the display off.

Question is.. is there a better ready/DIY solution that I have missed? What would you recommend?

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think a cheap tablet mounted in some sort of frame would be best for this. I believe that user @nayr has done this already.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought an 8 channel "super mini nvr" and plan to connect it to a monitor on the wall for an always on display. Im not sure about ptz controls as i havent set it up yet. Got the idea from @nayr maybe he knows if its capable. It has usb input for a mouse so i would think you could run a usb touch screen to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought an 8 channel "super mini nvr" and plan to connect it to a monitor on the wall for an always on display. Im not sure about ptz controls as i havent set it up yet. Got the idea from @nayr maybe he knows if its capable. It has usb input for a mouse so i would think you could run a usb touch screen to it.

Can you post a link or something for his setup?

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Cornholio,

I use an old Win 7 clamshell I had laying around.
It's connected via WiFi to a wireless router on my camera subnet.
It's running Smart PSS. Full screen. Viewing 1 cam's "Main Stream" that fills about half the screen. That leaves 5 smaller window boxes to view other cams using their "substreams". Performance is good, and it doesn't bog down the WiFi on the camera subnet. (and is separated from my home LAN subnet, so Netflix, music, etc is unaffected)
I disabled "sleep mode" (since it's plugged in), so the screen is always up and active. Until a Windows update decides to install and reboot)
I can unplug the power cord, and place the clamshell somewhere near me temporarily, if I wanna keep an eye on the driveway (eg: waiting for guests) while working anywhere around the house.
I still use my laptop w/ another instance of Smart PSS, or the web interface to the NVR.
I like this setup - uncomplicated, single NVR, independent view/monitor setup, and for me, zero cost.
YMMV

Fastb

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cornholio,

I use an old Win 7 clamshell I had laying around.
It's connected via WiFi to a wireless router on my camera subnet.
It's running Smart PSS. Full screen. Viewing 1 cam's "Main Stream" that fills about half the screen. That leaves 5 smaller window boxes to view other cams using their "substreams". Performance is good, and it doesn't bog down the WiFi on the camera subnet. (and is separated from my home LAN subnet, so Netflix, music, etc is unaffected)
I disabled "sleep mode" (since it's plugged in), so the screen is always up and active. Until a Windows update decides to install and reboot)
I can unplug the power cord, and place the clamshell somewhere near me temporarily, if I wanna keep an eye on the driveway (eg: waiting for guests) while working anywhere around the house.
I still use my laptop w/ another instance of Smart PSS, or the web interface to the NVR.
I like this setup - uncomplicated, single NVR, independent view/monitor setup, and for me, zero cost.
YMMV

Fastb
Nice! I especially like the camera subnet bit. How does one remotely view the cameras? I'm assuming that subnet is not directly exposed to the internet.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The subnet isn't exposed to my home net, since the ip addr and ip mask don't let the devices on the two subnets reach each other.
The router connecting the cam subnet outwards treats the outbound connection as wan. It doesn't allow inbound traffic. It uses port forwarding to let the NVR be reachable.
I can view the cams if I connect my laptop to the WiFi router on the cam subnet. If I want to use a printer, or reach a device on my home net, I must log into the other WiFi router.
I can view the NVR from my phone using gDMSS over the interent, using the port forwarding.

Fastb

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The subnet isn't exposed to my home net, since the ip addr and ip mask don't let the devices on the two subnets reach each other.
The router connecting the cam subnet outwards treats the outbound connection as wan. It doesn't allow inbound traffic. It uses port forwarding to let the NVR be reachable.
I can view the cams if I connect my laptop to the WiFi router on the cam subnet. If I want to use a printer, or reach a device on my home net, I must log into the other WiFi router.
I can view the NVR from my phone using gDMSS over the interent, using the port forwarding.

Fastb
Are you using 2 separate routers or just set up a VLAN with one?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I was developing a portable camera/alarm system to use on single family remodel construction sites. I used a Cradlepoint router, with cellular and WiFi capability. Reaching the internet would be via cellular.
That Cradlepoint has many security features on it's WAN port, just like it has on it's WAN radio port. Like blocking inbound traffic. And directing outbound traffic, which I now direct to my comcast cable modem.
That's my cam subnet. WiFi, wired, separated (by Cradlepoint) and by different ip addresses.
No VLAN.
My home subnet also has WiFi, wired, TV, printer, smart AV receiver, etc.
2 routers.

Fastb

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It works better to connect devices you want to use to view cameras with wired Ethernet than to try to use wifi.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
tangent,
I agree completely.
I wanted live view capability in my kitchen/eating area.
In my case, I was facing two issues.
1) the ethernet jacks nearby are on my home subnet, not the camera subnet. I worried about putting all 5 cams onto my home subnet, and the hit to bandwidth. (Cat 5, 10/100Mb). Tho maybe that fear is overblown.
2) Running cat cable from the NVR upstairs would have been a pain.

The old clamshell PC is underpowered. It can't display 5 cams of Main Stream video, even if wired. So the PC is the weak link, not WiFi.

Hence, the clamshell displays (1) Main Stream and (4) substream channels. It can keep up with that, w/ CPU at 75%.
The clamshell is the only device using WiFi on my camera subnet. So plenty of available b/w to keep the clamshell fully occupied.

If I were to permanently mount a display somewhere, I'd go wired. Using the clamshell and WiFi lets us experiment, and figure out IF and WHERE to use a permanent live display.... My wife is sorting out her "druthers"

Fastb

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tangent,
I agree completely.
I wanted live view capability in my kitchen/eating area.
In my case, I was facing two issues.
1) the ethernet jacks nearby are on my home subnet, not the camera subnet. I worried about putting all 5 cams onto my home subnet, and the hit to bandwidth. (Cat 5, 10/100Mb). Tho maybe that fear is overblown.
2) Running cat cable from the NVR upstairs would have been a pain.

The old clamshell PC is underpowered. It can't display 5 cams of Main Stream video, even if wired. So the PC is the weak link, not WiFi.

Hence, the clamshell displays (1) Main Stream and (4) substream channels. It can keep up with that, w/ CPU at 75%.
The clamshell is the only device using WiFi on my camera subnet. So plenty of available b/w to keep the clamshell fully occupied.

If I were to permanently mount a display somewhere, I'd go wired. Using the clamshell and WiFi lets us experiment, and figure out IF and WHERE to use a permanent live display.... My wife is sorting out her "druthers"

Fastb
My comment wasn't specifically directed at you, just that generally wired is >> wireless for cam viewing.
In addition to things already discussed in this thread you can use something like a raspberry pi, hdmi over cat-6 adapters, long hdmi cables, or even wireless hdmi products like miracast.

Cat-5 can usually handle gigabit speeds on runs < 100' or so, Cat5e can handle gigabit up to the full 328'.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont have anything like this; I mounted a good ole 23" 1080p IPS Monitor on a shelf in the closet in my mudroom and hooked a Raspberry Pi up to it with a wired network connection.

Personally I find the whole concept of wall mounted touch screen interfaces fucking horrible; I want a fucking button I can press w/out looking at the damn thing even if my fingers are wet from the shower... I think people watched too much star-trek growing up and that makes it seem alot cooler than it really is.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr,

You describe an "active" display, with a button or touch screen, when you want to take "action".
My display is "passive", it just shows cam views. So when I hear push notifications on the cell phone in my pocket sating my laser line was crossed, or tripwire/intrusion zonne crossed, I can take a quick look at my passive display (w/o pulling out my cell phone). On the live display, I see the car in my driveway ("Honey, Joe's family is here early!") or see who is walking towards the house. Passive, no interaction with the display.

I'm curious what "active" interaction do you take w/ a pushbutton (or a touch screen) ? Maybe PTZ control? Turn on strobes? Maybe enlarge one cam's view? You have a lot more cams than I do, so enlarging one cam view might be more necessary in your application?

Am I overlooking some capabilities that are desirable?

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nope, I dont have any buttons to control my display either.. I thought about plugging in a USB Numberpad and hotkeying presets onto that, or changing cameras to fullscreen, but meh..

I was talking more on the idea of permanently attaching a tablet to the wall, cuz getting off your ass and walking over to a wall to control something is so much better than just picking the tablet off the table or pulling the phone out of your pocket... /sarcasm

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
better than just picking the tablet off the table or pulling the phone out of your pocket... /sarcasm
Or for the really lazy, an Alexa solution may be coming to a couch-bound Trekkie near you;

"Alexa, Driveway Cam! Who the fuck is that?"
"Alexa, raise shields to full power"
"Alexa, Play Barking Dog sounds, and the sound of Chambering a shell in a Shotgun"
/sarcasm

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just get a big megaphone and start driving around saying, "Alexa, Open the Garage Door".. and see whom lets you in.

Star Trek had voice prints and command codes that required activating Self Destruct; Alexia will let anyone within vocal range blow your house sky high.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont have anything like this; I mounted a good ole 23" 1080p IPS Monitor on a shelf in the closet in my mudroom and hooked a Raspberry Pi up to it with a wired network connection.

Personally I find the whole concept of wall mounted touch screen interfaces fucking horrible; I want a fucking button I can press w/out looking at the damn thing even if my fingers are wet from the shower... I think people watched too much star-trek growing up and that makes it seem alot cooler than it really is.
Ah. I thought I had read in your buildout thread you used one of those in the closet. Maybe it was someone else, but it fit my needs perfectly.