Wireless Network bridge suggestions.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anybody have a idea for a wireless bridge from network switch to to my computer. My old wireless router seems to be doing it, but it’s old. Don’t think it’s up to 12 4k cameras. Bought a dual band wireless router. I can’t seem to access the router thru it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anybody have a idea for a wireless bridge from network switch to to my computer. My old wireless router seems to be doing it, but it’s old. Don’t think it’s up to 12 4k cameras. Bought a dual band wireless router. I can’t seem to access the router thru it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Hi @DRZmaui, are you talking about an "end user" computer, or a "heavy user" computer running NVR software? In the first case, you could acquire a "simple" access point, in the latter case, I kindly suggest to look for a more "professional" solution (eg pulling a wire). Nothing beats wired connections.

First you have to look what gear you already have: you are talking about a network switch: where is it located? Cellar? Attic? 100 meters? 200 meters? Does it have wifi? If it already has, you have to buy something that is "compatible", it does not make sense to try to create a wifi bridge with 5Ghz gear if the existing wifi is 2.4Ghz only. Apart from that, if you would want to benefice from full speed, you have this dual band technologies, for which you better stick to the same brand for highest compatility. Lastly, "mesh" wifi network technology is booming, in which you "plant" multiple wifi-seed in your network, and your computer will work on the best one. But I kinda doubt that they support 12 4k simultanious views.

Good luck!
CC

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All cameras Run on 2.4. you can set up 3 hard wired access points. On channels 1, 6, 11. Each access point channel has a different name assign to a single channel. Assign 4 cameras to each channel. Do not use any of these cahhels for any thing else

I think that you wifi will be very over load. I doubt that you will every get 12 4k wifi cameras to work on a continuous recording.

The more active devices on a channel the more collisions there will be lowering the through put.

Last edited:

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thanks guys. Going to hard wire my computer. Have to accept that I will need to drill a hole in our new carpet to access the crawl space.