Wireless Network Cameras?

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First things first, this is not about wireless cameras in the traditional sense, it is about a cameras connected to a wireless bridge kit.

The other day, my vehicle was t-boned in a parking lot (Click Here to view this video). I have a camera mounted in my apartment's window and caught person hitting it, but I cannot make out the licence plate (the camera is a 2MP camera from WatchNET... I got the system for free when I upgraded a system for my dad after he suffered a B+E and needed more cameras). My car is currently not insured, so I will have to pay out of pocket for the repairs.

I know, now it is too late to install another camera, because the damage is done. However, I'm still going to install another camera and replace the one I have watching my car.

I'm planning on installing a couple of IP cameras in my car, powered using the 12 volt jack, connected to a regular network switch powered from my cars 12 volt system. I'll be setting up a wireless access point in my apartment's window, and installing a bridge in the car to connect to my home network with an NVR. I will have SD cards installed in the cameras too, so If something happens when I am not home, I will have footage of it.

What I am worried about, is will the cameras re-connect to the NVR automatically when I return home with my vehicle? I've always installed hardwired systems, so I'm not sure how well this will work

Does anyone see any problems with this? Or possible a better way?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First things first, this is not about wireless cameras in the traditional sense, it is about a cameras connected to a wireless bridge kit.

The other day, my vehicle was t-boned in a parking lot (Click Here to view this video). I have a camera mounted in my apartment's window and caught person hitting it, but I cannot make out the licence plate (the camera is a 2MP camera from WatchNET... I got the system for free when I upgraded a system for my dad after he suffered a B+E and needed more cameras). My car is currently not insured, so I will have to pay out of pocket for the repairs.

I know, now it is too late to install another camera, because the damage is done. However, I'm still going to install another camera and replace the one I have watching my car.

I'm planning on installing a couple of IP cameras in my car, powered using the 12 volt jack, connected to a regular network switch powered from my cars 12 volt system. I'll be setting up a wireless access point in my apartment's window, and installing a bridge in the car to connect to my home network with an NVR. I will have SD cards installed in the cameras too, so If something happens when I am not home, I will have footage of it.

What I am worried about, is will the cameras re-connect to the NVR automatically when I return home with my vehicle? I've always installed hardwired systems, so I'm not sure how well this will work

Does anyone see any problems with this? Or possible a better way?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin.
Holy smokes Kevin! What the heck was that!?!?!?! Is this sort of driving normal up in Canada? Man... I feel for you..

Apartments really suck for those of us wanting to watch over our car.

Good thing it was day time...

1) Look at the Dahua OEM 4MP starlight+ models members are reviewing. ( see southernyankee's welcome message to new members for a list of cameras to consider )
I would add that to the window.. maybe create a box lined with black felt around the camera to window connection to reduce any possible glare from inside lights getting into the camera lens.

Your project sounds like a great idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how this is done.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Holy smokes Kevin! What the heck was that!?!?!?! Is this sort of driving normal up in Canada? Man... I feel for you..

Apartments really suck for those of us wanting to watch over our car.

Good thing it was day time...

1) Look at the Dahua OEM 4MP starlight+ models members are reviewing. ( see southernyankee's welcome message to new members for a list of cameras to consider )
I would add that to the window..
I'm not really sure what they were thinking. I have been checking the parked cars on the road every day looking for the car again. I'll be leaving a note for them If I find the car. Between knowing it's a white Nissan, with those rims, and and a female African american individual (my neighbor confirmed this. He saw the car and the driver, but didn't know they hit my car, so he didn't get the plate #...) , I'm hopeful I can find the suspect.

I'll check out the Dahua cameras that I know everyone loves on here, but as an installer myself, I can get all kinds of different cameras from my wholesaler, at cheaper prices by telling them it's a sample/demo model... I have been buying a lot of stuff for myself because of this. For some reason though, my preferred wholesaler does not stock Dahua. They do stock Bosch, Axis, Hanwha, Geovision, Hikvision, and Honeywell (maybe a couple of others).

I'm not in a rush currently to buy cameras, So I can special order them.

I have a Geovision 4MP WDR with motorized varifocal Eyeball Dome Camera that I picked up for this last year, but never got around to installing (I need an NVR or something for it anyway. The other camera was supposed to be temporary but when you do this for a living the last thing you want to do is work on your own stuff).

maybe create a box lined with black felt around the camera to window connection to reduce any possible glare from inside lights getting into the camera lens.

Your project sounds like a great idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how this is done.
I would have NEVER thought of building a felt lined box for the camera. This is a GREAT idea! You are right, there is glare when the inside lights are on. I had to take the camera apart and disable the IR inside of it when I installed it last year (these cheap cameras have no way I could find to disable the IR...)

It's the only way I can think of to be able to watch the vehicle. Last year my service van was broke into (someone tried to steal it...). I was missing a couple of parts to install the camera in the window. I was planning on picking them up the next day, and discovered my van got broke into the next morning. I was NOT impressed. At least with the cameras mounted in the car, when I am home, at least if someone tries/succeeds to steal my car, it will have been saved to the NVR before they loose reception. I may install a fish eye camera in the car to watch for thieves that steal items from my car.

I'm stuck between an NVR or using BlueIris... But money for a desktop computer to run BlueIris is an issue. I can get a 4 or 8 channel NVR for cheap. I've also never used BI, so it's the perfect thing to start using it, but I'm trying to save up money to build a Server... So I may hold off and buy an NVR for now. I can sell it used to a client in the future. I guess I just decided what I am doing.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
WTF? lol That's crazy.

Have an ex? Burn somebody in a drug deal recently? About all I could think...

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
WTF? lol That's crazy.

Have an ex? Burn somebody in a drug deal recently? About all I could think...
Nope. Been with the same girlfriend coming up on a year. Haven't even talked to a drug dealer in years.

Yeah I was going to ask what you said to piss her off..?
As far as I know, I haven't done anything. For the past 2 months I've hardly even talked to my neighbors. My car (and motorcycle) hasn't moved for 2 months either. I've been taking public transit, and anyone I meet on the bus doesn't know I have a car.

It just has to be an idiot at the wheel. I think they thought they were farther into the parking lot, starting turning, and was looking at their phone when they hit my car.

I've been playing with the video, adjusting the saturation, the hue, adjusting the RGB colours, I tried a negative image, I tried sharpening the image, and adjusting the exposure. I cannot get the plate number. There is too much glare from the white car and the sun. I've managed to get the blue letters to be visible, but it's too distorted to make out the numbers and letters of the plate. Next I'm going to try separating all the frames into separate images and going through them manually to find the best capture of the front of the car.

see if they have any of the Hikvision darkfighter models...
I've been wanting to try a darkfighter model... This gives me an excuse.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is it with me and bad luck?

See my Christmas gift?

On the (twenty)third day of Christmas, my life gave to me,
3 years of bad luck,
2 missing O2 sensors,
And a missing catalytic converter.

Just my dumb luck the the 4MP camera malfunctioned recording to the SD card... so all I have is this shitty 1.3MP camera to catch them cutting my catalytic converter off.

Coming soon to a car near me, 5 security cameras and a new alarm system with custom wiring.

Attachments