WIRELESS OUTDOOR CAM HELP

DYN0

n3wb
Reaction score
I hope this is the best forum to post this question however I would like advice on the following:

Already have two Amcrest Cameras (one outdoor IP3M and an indoor PTZ unit)

I need one more outdoor camera with these features however I do not think anything Amcrest has will fit the bill based on what I have seen:

1. Outdoor cam capable to withstand -30 C weather
2. Would like to the ability to clearly see 30 - 35 feet away and recognize a licence plate or human
3. Not sure if bullet versus dome is a better choice
4. Power is not an issue
5. Cannot run any cabling to a router etc so I need wireless
6. Is a power line adapter an option and how would that work as my router does not have any empty ports
7. Any recommended brands I should consider
8. I assume if I switch brands my current Amcrest system would work with Blue Iris

Any other suggestions or feed back is appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this is the best forum to post this question however I would like advice on the following:

Already have two Amcrest Cameras (one outdoor IP3M and an indoor PTZ unit)

I need one more outdoor camera with these features however I do not think anything Amcrest has will fit the bill based on what I have seen:

1. Outdoor cam capable to withstand -30 C weather
2. Would like to the ability to clearly see 30 - 35 feet away and recognize a licence plate or human
3. Not sure if bullet versus dome is a better choice
4. Power is not an issue
5. Cannot run any cabling to a router etc so I need wireless
6. Is a power line adapter an option and how would that work as my router does not have any empty ports
7. Any recommended brands I should consider
8. I assume if I switch brands my current Amcrest system would work with Blue Iris

Any other suggestions or feed back is appreciated
You are very confused. Read the wiki.
Look for a turret form factor.
You dont need open ports on your router. They make this things called network switches.
Pay someone to run ethernet cable, you have to run power anyway.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi.

I suggest this camera: Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

To get connected, there are two options. A network switch as fenderman suggested would give you more network ports so you could use a powerline networking kit. However powerline networking is really hit-and-miss and is not compatible with surge protectors so you might not like it much. As an alternative I recommend an Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. You can disable its "AirMax" functionality and configure it as a wireless client (station) to connect to your router. Put it out where the camera is, pointed toward your router. If the distance is short and signal strong you may be able to reduce the Nanostation's output power. If the distance is long or signal too weak, you can get a second Nanostation to use as an outdoor access point such that the two nanostations talk directly to each other. This is the next best thing to running an actual network cable in terms of speed and reliability. You will need a weatherproof box or other sheltered area to make power and network connections.

If you do get two nanostations, and you have a clear line of sight between them, make them the M5 version instead of M2. M5 uses 5 GHz wifi which is usually less congested, and is capable of attaining higher speeds, but it doesn't penetrate obstructions as well as M2 (2.4 GHz wifi).

Most cameras work with Blue Iris, even some "cloud cams" that shouldn't. Though the best results will always be from cameras that support ONVIF because that indicates they support the basic feature set required by most video surveillance software.