Wireless question

dennisoates

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have my cameras (remote location) set up wirelessly and they are working perfectly. I hard wired them too just in case they quit working wirelessly.
My question is if i change the setting on router and cams to wired and they don't work will i be able to get them working again wirelessly from my remote location. or should i just leave them alone. I am in florida and cams are in michigan. thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would you use wireless if you have hard cable running to the cameras?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I have my cameras (remote location) set up wirelessly and they are working perfectly. I hard wired them too just in case they quit working wirelessly.
My question is if i change the setting on router and cams to wired and they don't work will i be able to get them working again wirelessly from my remote location. or should i just leave them alone. I am in florida and cams are in michigan. thanks
@dennisoates First like Fender said why in the world would you run them over wireless if you took the time to hard wire them?!?! However to address the actual question at hand.

Hopefully you have a PC onsite that you are remoting into via something like TeamViewer. If that is the case you should be fine even if you screw things up with a single camera. Be aware if you start changing IP addresses of the router - you will most likely lock yourself out until your DNS forwarding or Teamviewer update.

If you simply switch the camera from Wireless to Hardwired in the settings the only thing in theory that should change is the IP address of that camera as it will pull a different IP from the router. Not knowing if you are using port forwarding, DynDNS or the like, it is hard to answer your question as we don't know what your setup is.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennisoates

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i wired them in case the wireless quit working. my pc on the remote site powered off so i cant use team viewer to use cam tools
. i am using no ip ddns and dlinkddns for the dlink cams.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
i wired them in case the wireless quit working. my pc on the remote site powered off so i cant use team viewer to use cam tools
. i am using no ip ddns and dlinkddns for the dlink cams.
Any changes you make while simply connected via the cam only are like playing Russian Roulette since you have no way to access anything else within the network should something go wrong... So in this case - it ain't broke, don't fix it...