Wiring nightmare need advice.

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Guys, im new here, and desperate need advice on how to move forward ASAP.

My house is two floor\2500sqft with nothing but thick concrete and brick. I'm not able to run cable for a wired setup without causing expensive damage to the house. I need advice on installation approach to get a 4-6 camera max setup. I'm lucky enough that every location where i want a camera installed has a power outlet. I have a strong mesh wireless network. My only two options is either wifi or powerline. can this be done? if so how? what powerline injectors are you using...?

Thanks in advance..!

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Guys, im new here, and desperate need advice on how to move forward ASAP.

My house is two floor\2500sqft with nothing but thick concrete and brick. I'm not able to run cable for a wired setup without causing expensive damage to the house. I need advice on installation approach to get a 4-6 camera max setup. I'm lucky enough that every location where i want a camera installed has a power outlet. I have a strong mesh wireless network. My only two options is either wifi or powerline. can this be done? if so how? what powerline injectors are you using...?

Thanks in advance..!
I faced this issue in my old condo. There were certain runs that I couldn't cable, due to HOA politics, so I went with Logitech powerlines.

Logitech HD Powerline 200a Starter Kit for Logitech Revue & Internet-Connected Devices Amazon.com: Logitech HD Powerline 200a Starter Kit for Logitech Revue & Internet-Connected Devices: Electronics

I've tried several brands and these seem to be the best. I since installed quite a few of them for others when cabling is not an option and all have been solid for internet, cameras, and voip. For data of course its not as fast as a wire or wifi, but they are great for cameras. Also, they're POE and you can buy singles if you want to add more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Use powerline av2000 then use Poe giabit switches
So let's say upstairs you want 6 cameras plug in a power line into your wall socket then from the power line plug that to the Poe switch just make sure everything is capable of gigabit speed as you don't want to create bottle necks on you bandwidth then plug the other powerline near your router you can add up to sixteen powerlines in your net work
I think it's called spanning tree?
Just add more Poe switches I have six Poe 8 port switches and you can hook up cameras any where around the home

Attachments

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not sure whether it will work for you but this seems worth looking at. It has a gigabit switch and a wifi extender with a built in smart ac outlet that you can control with Alexa and kasa app.
TP-link Smart Plug, Easy Setup, AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender/Repeater, works with Amazon Alexa, 2 in 1, remote control by Kasa app Amazon.com: TP-link Smart Plug, Easy Setup, AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender/Repeater, works with Amazon Alexa, 2 in 1, remote control by Kasa app: TP-LINK: Computers & Accessories

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks everyone for your replies.. i will do some research on your ideas..

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use powerline av2000 then use Poe giabit switches
So let's say upstairs you want 6 cameras plug in a power line into your wall socket then from the power line plug that to the Poe switch just make sure everything is capable of gigabit speed as you don't want to create bottle necks on you bandwidth then plug the other powerline near your router you can add up to sixteen powerlines in your net work
I think it's called spanning tree?
Just add more Poe switches I have six Poe 8 port switches and you can hook up cameras any where around the home

Hello Marku2.. question. Couldn't a normal gigabit switch work (for data) as you are already supplying power to the cameras via a ac adapter or powerline adapter? im just trying to understand your use of a POE switch..

Ed Stead

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am part of a homeowner's association on the Turks and Caicos Islands, we have approximately 150 homes within our development. We are on a peninsula so there is one road in and one road out. We would like to have a camera / video system that we can mount to a utility pole. We would like the camera to be able to clearly see license plates and people driving a car. We don't need a large area around the road to be monitored. we simply want to monitor people coming and going.

The system needs to have its own source of power such as solar. The system also needs to record the video to a host or to dvr located somewhere else. The drv could be located at an office about 300 feet away. The camera system does need good night vision, it also needs battery backup for at least 24 hrs. It does not need a speaker system or the ability to light up the area.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Edward Stead

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
One the power line adapter I will post a picture now with this response
You can plug in a data device to the Poe it wouldn't hurt it as it will work out it only needs data and not power I have in the front room my DVD and amp and play station plugged into one switch then say I wanted to plug a cube camera there it will run that
Next to my lap top there is another Poe switch and power line I use that to fire up cameras in sadap before fitting and working on a camera that's Chinese with Alister
Out in the garage there is one powerline with two Poe switches daisy chained up running all the front cameras
Then up stairs there is a gigabit switch and power line hooked up to three nvrs and the PlayStation runs a lot better to watch Netflix than it use to on wifi please stay away from the wifi kind also use them only plugged into the wall not on a power board that has surge protection the red light comes on ever now and again with the surge board

Attachments

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello Marku2.. question. Couldn't a normal gigabit switch work (for data) as you are already supplying power to the cameras via a ac adapter or powerline adapter? im just trying to understand your use of a POE switch..
Yes if the camera has its own power supply plug it into a gigabit switch then the powerline to the router

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
A good little tool for your iPad also is net Analyzer that will tell you what's on the network it give you everything you need you can ping look up hit the camera web page handy to do all the adjustments on the iPad and watch the laptop save mucking around with a browser that won't support a plug in but if you need to do it with a web page palemoon works ok for camera adjustments

Attachments

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Marku2, bloduc and zebroc for your info... i think AV2000 a try along with a poe powerline and see how that works.. Thanks guys.

bludoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Marku2, bloduc and zebroc for your info... i think AV2000 a try along with a poe powerline and see how that works.. Thanks guys.
No problem, please keep us posted. Good luck.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk