Wiring of DO triggered lights

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey again!

My previous post didn't get much attention so I'm trying to rephrase my thoughts here.
I hope some of you can give your thoughts on this setup

I want to make my NVR trigger a set of 3 simple LEDs and two more powerful 48W lamps (like these) but I'm unsure how to wire things.
I'm decently capable with a soldering iron and know my way around the basics of this but I'm unsure what kinds of relays to use and how to wire them with the NVR. The NVR has alarm outputs working as Normally Open.

I've drawn a rough sketch to visualise my needs. I'm not sure the 3 LEDs in series is the smartest way but it works in my test rig.
I just need to figure out what kinds of relays (Solid state, solenoid, opto-isolator) I should use for this and if you think it would even work as intended?

Please do give any feedback you can

CheersIMG_20180506_164908 (1).jpg

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First off, the NVR: what are the ratings of its output circuit?
In other words, is it a 'dry' relay, is it N.O., N.C. or either?

Distance between last power adapter and the 2 LED lamps?

Best info: make and model of the NVR?

That info will help you (or forum members) decide if you need a 3.3- 5VDC relay board to interface to a 12VDC relay to control the 12VDC LED (automotive) lamps or if you can skip the 3.3-5VDC board and connect the NVR directly to a 12VDC relay to control the 12VDC LED lamps (very possible if NVR output relay is 'dry' contact).

NOTE: I know you said your sketch was preliminary but let me state this: you will need some proper fusing and wire gauges chosen based on length and current AFTER the switching scheme is decided upon. Even conductors carrying 12VDC @ 10 amps can start a fire if not properly gauged and protected.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey!

Thank you for your reply.

As I wrote in my post it's a "Normally Open" alarm terminal on the NVR. It's a Vivotek ND9441P and i've attached a screenshot from the manual. Hope that helps.

I'm considering getting rid of the 5v power supply and just running everything on 12v. I've fiddled around with a circuit consisting of a 4N25 optocoupler but it doesn't seem to be able to handle much current. I've ordered some of these but they're on a long journey from China. Wasn't able to find some in the EU.

The distance from power adapter to one of the LED lamps will probably be around 50m. The other will be just a few meters.

Attachments

Heire

n3wb
Reaction score
First off you need to know the power specifications of the relay on your nvr, you will need to connect the common with a 5/12v/24v psu.
I don't really understand the reason of the connection between first and second relay? Why not connect nvr directly on the 2 relays.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
The screenshot in my previous post is all the info there is on the DO ports. It's a normally open connection and I guess it's safe to assume I cannot run close to 90W through these connectors. Hence a relay of some sort that I'm unsure how to wire.
I'm also thinking about getting rid of the first relay and just running everything off 12v. That would simplify the wiring. The relays connected to each other was because there's going to be about 50m between the LEDs and the other lights. If I can run a single wire all the way and just one 12v relay close to the NVR i guess that makes better sense.

Heire

n3wb
Reaction score
Mostly do have 0-30v 2A as specification, so a bit of a guess what is allowed.
It's only stupid that it triggers on a no for your case, a nc would allow to directly trigger the relay. Now you need to invert that to trigger the relay, or use an inverted relay that triggers on open contact. Shouldn't be an issue to find relays that do that.