Wiring PIR to alarm input DS-2CD2132F-IS

kuchars22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if I am doing this right, but I want my GJD PIR to trigger recording of multiple cameras off my Hikvision 7208HGHI-SH/A Turbo Hybrid - doesn't have alarm inputs, hence why I purchased a 2132F-IS IP camera with alarm input. I only have one cat5 going to the camera unfortunately,but I have used one pair of the Ethernet cable and wired them into Alarm IN and GND on the pigtail of the camera. At the other end, the pair is connected to the trigger output of the PIR, which is set to N.O.. I know this PIR is set up correctly as it was from a previous install.

1) Under Event settings, Alarm Input is set to the IP camera "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8050<1"
2) Alarm Type set to "N.O."
3) "Enable Alarm Input Handling" checked
4) Scheduled all-day, every day.
5) Linked three cameras, including the camera with the alarm input
6) Under Storage settings, I have enabled recordings for the cameras that I want and set them to Alarm.

Does this sound right? Nothing is recording when the PIR is triggered, but as test I set it to N.C. and I started getting emails (set under linkage). I also tried shorting Alarm In and GND but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how long is that cable, open collector inputs wont work over very long cable runs.. it sounds like its got enough resistance it thinks its already grounded.. those inputs are designed to be connected to a local PIR not a remote one.

kuchars22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
About 15m. I see what you mean. What if I were to set the PIR to N.C., would that help the situation?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nope because it wont ever open, yeah thats way to long for an open collector signal.. you need a power driven signal to accomplish that.. I have a gate sensor about 25ft away with some 18awg wire (alot better than ethernet) and thats about as far as I would try to push it.

if you have a junction box with a bit of room you could have a powered signal trip a relay for your camera.. just use the 12v for your PIR and send it down the line to a 12v relay.

Last edited by a moderator:

kuchars22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nope because it wont ever open, yeah thats way to long for an open collector signal.. you need a power driven signal to accomplish that.. I have a gate sensor about 25ft away with some 18awg wire (alot better than ethernet) and thats about as far as I would try to push it.

if you have a junction box with a bit of room you could have a powered signal trip a relay for your camera.. just use the 12v for your PIR and send it down the line to a 12v relay.
But I have also gone to the camera itself, and shorted the alarm In and GND wires. Nothing happens either, but is this how to test the camera's input locally?

Attached is a photo of my PIR connections, nothing changed since it was working successfully with my old Dedicated Micros DS2, just the DVR has changed and a new IP camera. So Blue goes into Alarm In on the camera and Yellow into GND.

Does the trigger on the camera require 12v feed into too?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
did you disconect the wires before shorting them? because right now they are perimently shorted so doing that I would expect no results unless you cut all the wires.

kuchars22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right - made some development: I have now set the alarm input on the IP camera itself, rather than the DVR, and now it works! The camera's behaviour after the alarm is triggered is independent of the DVR, so every action is local and does not record onto the DVR nor can I select other cameras (the other cameras are TVI). So I know the PIR and connectivity to the camera works, but how do I get it to send the alarm input to the DVR? Remember, my DVR doesn't have physical alarm inputs (my mistake), and I was told that the IP camera with alarm input can overcome this, but I'm having difficulties in the DVR recognising this.

One other thing: can you remove unused channels so they don't show up at all on live view or playback?