Wiring Questions

TabMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

New here, setting up a Dahua Turret IPC-HDW4433C-A with DH-PFA-137. When the house was built last year I had the wiring company put cat5 at some points outside.

Any suggestions on whether I should just cut the excess CAT 5 cable (about 3 ft rolled up) and wire to the camera by placing the mount right over the hole from the cable comes through the brick or something else? Utilize a junction box?

The location to the left of the top of the front door on the brick. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just mounted a couple of 4231 turrets on PFA139 junction boxes. I drilled through the wall and fed the un-terminated cable through the hole. I just out the foam backing on the box to allow the wire into the back of the box. The box is screwed directly into the wall. I terminated the cable with as little as possible sticking out of the wall, then mounted the camera and coiled up the pigtail inside the box. It looks very clean with no visible wires.

2018-04-30 10.41.52.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the future avoid these junk hacked China region models.

TabMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

New here, setting up a Dahua Turret IPC-HDW4433C-A with DH-PFA-137. When the house was built last year I had the wiring company put cat5 at some points outside.

Any suggestions on whether I should just cut the excess CAT 5 cable (about 3 ft rolled up) and wire to the camera by placing the mount right over the hole from the cable comes through the brick or something else? Utilize a junction box?

The location to the left of the top of the front door on the brick. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!
Here is the photo my brick wall with wire hanging.

Attachments

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I would recommend to keep the extra wire as long as you are not close to 300ft from your switch. You may want to move the camera down the road and the extra cable could help. You also may want to add a second camera near by. If so, you could use this cable to pull a new cable, having a little extra on each side never hurt.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would recommend to keep the extra wire as long as you are not close to 300ft from your switch. You may want to move the camera down the road and the extra cable could help. You also may want to add a second camera near by. If so, you could use this cable to pull a new cable, having a little extra on each side never hurt.
The junction boxes don't have that much space though, and you still have the camera's cable to stuff in there.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the photo my brick wall with wire hanging.
Hi Tabman,

Looks like a very nice home, good to have the builder pre-cable.

Do you plan to place another camera, perhaps a video doorbell type camera by the front door?
( I ask because, imho the camera it higher than my preference if it is the only camera by the front door )

BTW - if you use a wall mount PFB203/204W there's more room imho for cable in those compared to the junction box I used. Also, i think that will look nice in that location.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just stuff the wire back into the wall. If the Hole is big enough, You can stuff the pig tail back into the wall also and save the expense of the extra junction box.

TabMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Tabman,

Looks like a very nice home, good to have the builder pre-cable.

Do you plan to place another camera, perhaps a video doorbell type camera by the front door?
( I ask because, imho the camera it higher than my preference if it is the only camera by the front door )

BTW - if you use a wall mount PFB203/204W there's more room imho for cable in those compared to the junction box I used. Also, i think that will look nice in that location.
I might add a doorbell later if this does not cover all that is needed.