Wodsee IMX178 with auto zoom! / 3.6-10mm. Awesome camera?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
• Which is better, Sony 185 or Sony 178 chip?

• How come the camera says Starlight 2.4 Megapixel but the bottom says (3.6-10mm 6.0MP Auto Zoom Lense)

• It this camera 2.4 or 6.0MP?

wodsee.jpg

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good Point Del Boy. I would assume firmware/ support and overall quality of build is super important as well.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually I was thinking about the lens. I've had the same sensors from different brands and different results.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the 6MP is the 'rating' of the lens (good for up to 6MP),
but the imx185 sensor behind it only has 2.4MP.

the other cam has a 5MP IMX178 behind the 6MP lens.

All's well theoretically, as long as the lens is rated for at least as many pixels as the sensor...

of course, like all other specs, lens ratings are subject to 'marketecture'... :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is a good sign that more optics are becoming avilable for these ~1/2" sensors.. thats what's been limiting there use, and why the name brand versions are expensive as hell.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 6MP isn't the rating of the lens. The lens isn't digital!

It's a copy and paste error. Also it doesn't have auto zoom. It's one thing spending $30 to $60 on a Chinese unknown camera, it's quite another spending $150. You're going to be disappointed unless you set the bar very low. In which case you could get much better for $150.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Makes sense that the lens is 6mp ( good up to ).

Del Boy; so the camera is probably disappointing and ahead of its time. If you had $150 to spend, what is your go to cam of choice with varifocial?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this is a good sign that more optics are becoming available for these ~1/2" sensors.. thats what's been limiting there use, and why the name brand versions are expensive as hell.
I know you told me in another thread varifocal not avail. I was surprised to see this in a IMX178 setup.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd still go for the Huisun. IMX322 which we know is very good but not amazing and you're getting a great lens. Added bonus pan/tilt.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd still go for the Huisun. IMX322 which we know is very good but not amazing and you're getting a great lens. Added bonus pan/tilt.
You are referring to the Huisun
Model, DM-SCB405IP-V10 camera?

And if PTZ was not important and you needed a good outdoor bullet cam, what cam would you buy with varifocal?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great thanks, And if PTZ was not important, whats your fav varifocal bullet?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you wont get that level of performance out of any camera, especially IP cameras, unless your using studio lenses... digital photo cameras that features continuos autofocus cant wont even keep up when you zoom.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is another place PTZ's are better, even if your using it to view a fixed area.. presets usually store focus parameters, so when you change presets its pretty much already in focus once it lands on the target... it will still try to refocus but its already so close you dont notice if it if its needed.. its still a crap image between points tho.

all fixed bullet vairfocals are slow, very slow compared to a PTZ.. not something you want to do on a trigger or anything.