Worth it? - DS-7608NI-E2/8P

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Short story; an auction site has a DS-7608NI-E2/8P for a $1 reserve.

I see in the datasheet that this is 8 ports but can only decode those 8ch at 720p. I'm guessing that I would only get to run about 3 cameras at 4mp with it.

The only reason this caught my eye is that it is $1 reserve. For a few bucks I don't mind just to play around.

Aside from the max bid I have in mind (not stating) would you suggest me even bothering?
I'd also be interested to know what people would value this NVR for being used.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
can only decode those 8ch at 720p.
That's for displaying the streams, which in multiview is usually the substream.

I'm guessing that I would only get to run about 3 cameras at 4mp with it.
You could use up to the 80Mbps rated incoming bandwidth.
3 x 4MP cameras might consume up to 25Mbps.

For a few bucks I don't mind just to play around.
And then re-sell at a likely similar price.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have the 7616, running 7 4MP cameras on it works fine. Maybe the 7608 has lower capabilities?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It will have a smaller amount of RAM, probably the same CPU/SoC but maybe at a slower clock speed.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, it's about how much it can decode the camera streams for display purposes.
I always thought the term 'decode' was sampling the data for recording.

I'm stupid on that one; The cameras already output digital. It just needs to record that digital data (and possibly compress).

It's not like analogue sampling the signal. I'm thinking too much like a analogue to network encoder.

Ken Nickel

n3wb
Reaction score
No, it's about how much it can decode the camera streams for display purposes.
Sorry if I am being thick... so if I have an 8MP Hikvision NVR that says up to 8MP, does that mean up to 8MP per each of the 16PoE ports? However, if I were to channel it straight into TV, then the limitation you referred to aboce would apply?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry if I am being thick... so if I have an 8MP Hikvision NVR that says up to 8MP, does that mean up to 8MP per each of the 16PoE ports? However, if I were to channel it straight into TV, then the limitation you referred to aboce would apply?
You could use up to the 80Mbps rated incoming bandwidth.
3 x 4MP cameras might consume up to 25Mbps.
I'm guessing this is taking those camera streams and putting them into a single stream out for viewing.
@Ken Nickel The output of that NVR's HDMI should be 4k. but you can't add multiple 4k images to suddenly get 16k out, the NVR needs to combine them all into a single 4k out.
I would love to make a 4k TV 16k by sending a greater resolution to it. lol.

That's at least what i'm getting about steams when viewing. I'm amusing it can record all ports at the specified max resolution.

Ken Nickel

n3wb
Reaction score
@Ken Nickel The output of that NVR's HDMI should be 4k. but you can't add multiple 4k images to suddenly get 16k out, the NVR needs to combine them all into a single 4k out.
I would love to make a 4k TV 16k by sending a greater resolution to it. lol.
So....am I right in assuming that if I have, say, eight 4K cameras plugged into an NVR (which is described as 4K NVR), the nVR will be capable of simultaneously recording 8x4K streams?

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it will record all 8 streams at 4K. My understanding is decoding refers to the NVRs playback limit and does not affect recording.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The DS-7608NI-E2 can only support up to 6 megapixel cameras. The "E" series does not support 4K cameras. 4K is 8 megapixel. If you have higher megapixels then you would need to log into the cameras and lower the resolutions before it will accept it. Video output the synchronous on the VGA and HDMI with a max of 1080P. You can run all 6MP cameras on all 8 channels no problem. It will record at the max resolution. It will not be able to display all the cameras at max resolution (main stream) and will give you a no resources error. That being said... In the multiscreen view it is usually displaying all substream anyways so you would not have that problem.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The "E" series is still a good unit. It was discontinued December of 2018 and was replaced by the "Q" series. Q series actually has worst decoding, smaller power supply but is able to support 8 megapixel cameras and has H265+ where as the "E" has a max of H264+. If I had to choose between the two then I would still get the older "E" instead of the "Q". If you have the budget then step up to the "I" series. DS-7608NI-I2