Worth updating RAM?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I currently have 16gb of ram that came with my computer (1,033 MHz I think). I’m not too savvy on that stuff but it’s run of the mill memory that came with the computer from dell.

I’m wondering if (for my BI server) it makes sense to get a faster speed 16gb ram like this one:

Newegg ram

as it stands, my server only uses 50% of the existing ram and 15% of the processor.
Thanks for any input!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have 16gb of ram that came with my computer (1,033 MHz I think). I’m not too savvy on that stuff but it’s run of the mill memory that came with the computer from dell.

I’m wondering if (for my BI server) it makes sense to get a faster speed 16gb ram like this one:

Newegg ram

as it stands, my server only uses 50% of the existing ram and 15% of the processor.
Thanks for any input!
No. Save your money.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As said above save your money. The problem with Dell and Hp and other similar manufacturers is that the options in the BIOS are limited so putting in faster RAM means that it will most probably run the RAM at the slower speed.

And even if it were able to run the RAM at its intended speed you’d not notice the difference and would only see the differences when benchmarking.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As said above save your money. The problem with Dell and Hp and other similar manufacturers is that the options in the BIOS are limited so putting in faster RAM means that it will most probably run the RAM at the slower speed.

And even if it were able to run the RAM at its intended speed you’d not notice the difference and would only see the differences when benchmarking.
Makes sense. I appreciate the info.

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do believe that running in dual channel mode is recommended though so make sure that whatever memory you have in your system is split between both memory banks rather than a single stick of RAM, whatever the speed rating you choose.