Would 2nd Gen i3 or i5 be ok? (Motion sensing off)

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All is working well but have a quick question regarding purchasing a dedicated desktop machine. I won't be using software motion sensor in blue iris and no re-encoding either.

I have 4 hikvision cameras at 4MP at 15FPS with direct to disc enabled and the Sealevel DIO connected to PIRs.

I'm presently using a MacBook mid-2012 which has i5 3rd gen 3210m with Intel HD 4000 and 8gb ram.

The processor runs at 25-30%, which I'm happy with. I tried BI hardware acceleration for each camera but doesn't make much difference to CPU, possibly because it's direct to disc anyway, is that right?

However, main question, to save money, I was thinking of purchasing a 2ND gen i3 or i5, would this easily cope if I don't use software motion detection? In the future I'll probably add 2-3 more cameras, but probably won't use software motion detection.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All is working well but have a quick question regarding purchasing a dedicated desktop machine. I won't be using software motion sensor in blue iris and no re-encoding either.

I have 4 hikvision cameras at 4MP at 15FPS with direct to disc enabled and the Sealevel DIO connected to PIRs.

I'm presently using a MacBook mid-2012 which has i5 3rd gen 3210m with Intel HD 4000 and 8gb ram.

The processor runs at 25-30%, which I'm happy with. I tried BI hardware acceleration for each camera but doesn't make much difference to CPU, possibly because it's direct to disc anyway, is that right?

However, main question, to save money, I was thinking of purchasing a 2ND gen i3 or i5, would this easily cope if I don't use software motion detection? In the future I'll probably add 2-3 more cameras, but probably won't use software motion detection.

Thanks
HA is not working because you are running a VM.
Software motion detection add little overhead if any..a second or third gen i5 will work...make sure you dont pay more than 150 for those old systems..I would recommend a 300 dollar i5-6500 so you can take advantage of h.265 HA when it hopefully is implemented.

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman

I'm using Windows 8.1 as a clean install using boot camp, not running it from the Mac OS. I boot in to windows from powering up. So it's not in VM mode. Will this still not allow hardware acceleration? I've selected the 'No PPV' option in acceleration because if I select 'PPV' for more than one cameras, the video in BI is just a black screen.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman

I'm using Windows 8.1 as a clean install using boot camp, not running it from the Mac OS. I boot in to windows from powering up. So it's not in VM mode. Will this still not allow hardware acceleration? I've selected the 'No PPV' option in acceleration because if I select 'PPV' for more than one cameras, the video in BI is just a black screen.

Thanks
you should not use vpp...does the mac have a discrete video card?or it might be a driver issue with apple..

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks

I just figured it out, settings were enabled in the Intel HD app, but I had to go to that small battery icon in bottom left of windows task bar and select 'high performance' instead of balanced. Also tweaked a few more things in that profile while at it. Have enabled hardware acceleration on all 4 cams (no VPP) and now CPU has dropped from 30% to around 11%!!!

Reaction score
With my limited experience of using a 2nd gen i5 or i7 with BI, I found hardware acceleration only works on 2mp cameras, not on 3mp or 4mp cams. I personally wouldn't go below a 3rd generation i5 or i7.

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahhh ok, thanks for that useful information.

I'm going to stick to third gen like my MacBook. I can get an i5 3rd gen base with 8gb ram for around £150 mark.

The HP/Compaq range on eBay is cheaper than optiplex and appears to offer so much more for the money. Would you recommend HP desktops?

Thanks

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman is HA being provided by a Graphics card with BI? Or is HA a function of something else? Basically, wondering whether a new i5 Kaby Lake NUC would suffice, but obviously they don't have discrete graphics but rather Intel integrated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman is HA being provided by a Graphics card with BI? Or is HA a function of something else? Basically, wondering whether a new i5 Kaby Lake NUC would suffice, but obviously they don't have discrete graphics but rather Intel integrated.
it is provided by INTEL HD WITH QUICKSYNC...
NUC's are generally an overpriced terrible choice

Last edited: