Would a dual Intel Xeon X5650 Dell R320 perform for a 32 camera system?

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a spare Dell R320 with dual Intel Xeon X5650 CPU's, 128GB of RAM, and 8 bays for RAID. Would this be a good system for a 32 camera system? I intend to run all cameras at 1080p, 15fps. Blue Iris recommends a CPU with QuickSync support, which these do not have, but it IS a dual CPU system with plenty of RAM. I plan to add a nice video card since it is currently running the on-board video. Any recommendations?

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the issue is the CPUs? What would you recommend for a 32 camera system?

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is not the number of cameras it is MP/SEC.
What is the frame size ?
What is the compression h.264 or H.265 ?
What is frame rate ?
What is I frame value ?
What is the bit rate ?
Are you using CBR or VBR ?

See Blue Iris Update Helper for real systems and bit rates

Read the WIKI Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I'm kind of a noob with IP cameras. As per my OP, I do plan to run the cameras in 1080p 15 fps and the cameras support H.265. I intend to record on motion detection only. Sorry I don't yet understand some of your other terms such as CBR, VBR, I Frame, etc... Just looking for some general recommendations that would support this setup. I don't mind paying for more hardware than I need, or that I will grow into, just don't want a woefully inadequate system, which it sounds like my spare rackserver is at this point. I am even up for building a custom system if needed, just want it in a rack server case and would prefer to also house a hardware RAID configuration as well. Thanks.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 50 camera system running on a 5th gen i5 with the 530 graphics, CPU load about 40-50%.

I tried it on a Xeon and it was a disaster. Ironic, yes, but the hardware decoding is what makes the difference.

You should probably read up a bit on those terms you mentioned first though.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
--------------------------------------
As you are a newbe, start real slow.
Define the problem... what are you trying to secure.. how big is it ... do you need inside and outside coverage ?

a little math 1080P at 15fps is 1080x1920x15 = 31.1 MP/SEC for 32 camera is 995 MP/SEC

Read, study,plan... repeat...... before spending money
----------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/newbie-starter-guide-to-ip-cam-system-–-vpn-setup-–-computer-hardware-–-blue-iris-–-dahua-cameras.42278/

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Last edited:

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks SouthernYankee, lots of good information for me to take in. I do have a 4 camera Hikvision (1 turret, 3 bullet) system in my home running on a QNAP NAS and Surveillance Station, so I'm not a complete IP camera noob, but building a large IP cam system for the business is a new one for me as my old camera systems were all Geovision cards and analog cameras.

I am having a low voltage guy pull all my Cat 6 cables so will definitely be all wired and planning all POE. My router is Meraki and I have an OpenVPN server in my network.

I have never considered a cube camera, but with all the recommendations I will take a close look at them. Thanks again for the info!