Would this camera work here to get this FOV?

Joe

n3wb
Reaction score
Ever since I had CCTV cameras I've tried to find a perfect spot for a front door camera. I've had limited success. :rolleyes: I have now thought maybe the HikVision DS-2CD2532F-I with a 2.8mm lens would be ideal. Here are photos of where I would mount the camera, and the FOV I hope to get. The both photos were taken using a Samsung Tab 3 7", I don't know the cameras lens specs, but it give a near ideal FOV. :)
The wall with the mailbox on it is about 4 feet from the facing wall, and the facing wall is 3 feet long. The electrical box cover is about 80" from the ground, and the photo I took at that height shows the top of the possible FOV to be about 75". Would this work with the camera and lens I'm thinking of using? Thanks for any help. :)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of those cams with a 2.8mm lens and I believe the FOV is wider than your tablet's.

Here is a pic from it mounted above my front door:

See its position circled in red here:

And here is the porch from the sides to give you a better idea of the FOV:

Two things I would be concerned about with your camera are:

1. You can't see the ground to see packages.
2. The camera might not focus so well that close and you might have to go to significant effort to refocus the lens.

Reactions: Joe

Joe

n3wb
Reaction score
I have one of those cams with a 2.8mm lens and I believe the FOV is wider than your tablet's.

Here is a pic from it mounted above my front door:

Two things I would be concerned about with your camera are:

1. You can't see the ground to see packages.
2. The camera might not focus so well that close and you might have to go to significant effort to refocus the lens.
Thanks for replying. I hadn't thought much about the focus issue. The model I'm thinking about is a fixed focal, so if is too close I'll have to find another use for it. I haven't ordered it yet. I have a vari-focal (DS-2CD2732F-I) ordered, so maybe I check distance with it (It's massively different in size though)
I want a camera at front door basically to see people's faces, who is there. The camera I want to put there (DS-2CD2532F-I(W)(S) - Fixed Focal - Hikvision USA, Inc.)
Has the option of audio, so it could be used possibly as an intercom, although I don't plan on doing that any time soon. Currently I have this 520TVL analogue camera set up with this FOV:
(Photo show camera with FOV inset). I plan to replace that one with a DS-2CD2032F-I, so I'll be able to see the ground :). Here are some of the others I have that I plan to replace with IP models:
This one is an analogue 700TVL, to be replaced with the same model I want to put over the mailbox, but with a 4mm lens.
This one is an analogue 700TVL, to be replaced with the vari-focal DS-2CD2732F-I I have coming.
This one is an analogue 520TVL. I'll replace it too with a DS-2CD2532F-I, 4mm lens. The others I have are 420TVL-520TVL and aren't in use.

Attachments

Joe

n3wb
Reaction score
When you get the DS-2CD2532F-I please post some shots of it I was looking at that camera
Here is an excellent review, with pics, and video from the DS-2CD2532F-I: » Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I 3MP Outdoor IR Mini Dome Review Network Camera Critic The guy that writes the reviews is on this forum, so you can even ask him questions.

I don't know when I will be getting my next camera. I will have to play with the one I'm waiting to arrive first [DS-2CD2732F-I] . The good news (for me) is I think my camera will be here before the end of the week. The bad news for me, the NVR I want just jumped $220+ in price [March 13 it was $1060, now, March 18, $1280). :numbness:

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is an excellent review, with pics, and video from the DS-2CD2532F-I: » Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I 3MP Outdoor IR Mini Dome Review Network Camera Critic The guy that writes the reviews is on this forum, so you can even ask him questions.

I don't know when I will be getting my next camera. I will have to play with the one I'm waiting to arrive first [DS-2CD2732F-I] . The good news (for me) is I think my camera will be here before the end of the week. The bad news for me, the NVR I want just jumped $220+ in price [March 13 it was $1060, now, March 18, $1280). :numbness:
which NVR