Would you consider any of the camera on this forum suitable for commercial application?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I say commercial, I don't mean restaurants and bars. I mean in banks, government facilities and areas where reliability is more mandatory. I have a fair amount of Dahua and Hikvision cameras but I don't know if I trust it for this application.

Would like recommendation for a system thats easy to maintain. Blue Iris is probably not an option since the end user of the system are not the most technical.

looking @ Nelly's Site they have NSC cameras that looks good but I've never used them. Has anyone?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I say commercial, I don't mean restaurants and bars. I mean in banks, government facilities and areas where reliability is more mandatory. I have a fair amount of Dahua and Hikvision cameras but I don't know if I trust it for this application.

Would like recommendation for a system thats easy to maintain. Blue Iris is probably not an option since the end user of the system are not the most technical.

looking @ Nelly's Site they have NSC cameras that looks good but I've never used them. Has anyone?
The Nelly's cameras are Hikvision...if you have to ask you should not be installing these but look at axis and avigilon..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even using brands like Axis, Avigilon, Pelco, or Bosch some thought needs to be applied to the overall network architecture and security. In this sort of environment you or their IT dept should enforce some external security (using managed switches, routers, firewalls, multiple nics, etc.) and prevent the cameras from talking to each other or directly to the internet.

You also may want to consider an ipvm membership and looking at the forums on securityinfowatch.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera/NVR will be for local viewing only and recording. As of now, there is no requirement for remote viewing.

It will most likely on a dedicated network with dedicated monitors at various location all for local use.

you're talking to their IT department. :winktongue:

Vince71

n3wb
Reaction score
dannieboiz, are you familiar with ACTi cams and their NVR software? I think it might work well in a commercial setting. I like the NVR software and it's designed for server/client: server can run separately from one or more clients that view the video feeds.

Reaction score
I have seen Hikvision cams at my bank, and a brand new hotel I just stayed at...not saying anything about the longevity of these devices, cause I ain't got a clue.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@dannieboiz In terms of "banks, government facilities and areas where reliability is more mandatory", Axis and Avigilon are the two most common in 2018 in North America. Other significant players include Bosch, Hanwha, Panasonic, Sony. Hikvision is definitely increasing their higher end sales backed an enormous sales and marketing spend.