Would you recommend the DS-2CD2142FWD-I ?

matt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I just registered to this forum.

I need 4 cameras for a residential area and the 4mp 4mm domes seem pretty decent on paper.
There are 2 new cameras from hikvision the 2mp and 4 which both seem very similar apart from MP.
Some argue that the 2mp might be better at night. On the other hand the 2mp are not so common online and price is the same or even higher.

Can anyone post some experiences?
For me it's important to have good minimum illumination, if possible 1/2.8 sensor rather than 1/3 and WDR not digital.
Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1/2.8 vs 1/3 means nothing.

The 2MP version is better at night but the difference isn't night and day. If better night illumination is important to you and you only want Hikvision domes then the 2122FWD-I is better even if it's the same price.

It's all situation dependant (it's not as simple as get a 1/2.8 for example), if you have street lighting then 2142FWD-I will be fine.

matt

n3wb
Reaction score
1/2.8 vs 1/3 means nothing.

The 2MP version is better at night but the difference isn't night and day. If better night illumination is important to you and you only want Hikvision domes then the 2122FWD-I is better even if it's the same price.

It's all situation dependant (it's not as simple as get a 1/2.8 for example), if you have street lighting then 2142FWD-I will be fine.
I prefer Hikvision as I have most experience using them, I am open to use any brand as long as it's better.
Opted for dome as it might be less prone to vandalism, i.e. can't be turned etc. not bullet proof obviously.
According to my research a bigger sensor is always better, but that's all I know.
2mp vs 4mp till now I haven't seen written or on video that it performs better after testing both.

My priorities are to have a decent image at night, will be happy with a 2mp dome or bullet/ any good brand. 2mp will help to have more bandwidth available and less useless areas in the image and also less storage needed.

Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you going to get an NVR? How are you going to record.

Bigger doesn't always mean better for sensor, best to ignore that and just pick the correct models.

Dahua you should consider too.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dome's can give u IR bleed at night. And as a few others have posted on this forum, if they are in direct sunlight, the domes that cover are subject to degradation.

Have you considered the 4mm, 4MP HikVis turrets (DS-2CD2342FWD-I)? I have two so far and I love them. They are the EXIR model and although I have nothing to compare them to, they both work great for what I need them to do. I'm still tinkering with settings here and there (going slow due to work schedule) but you can adjust a lot to get a good picture.

They are a little more expensive on Amazon right now but if you keep an eye on them I'm sure the price will drop. I ordered mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago and they were $114 a piece and were the US versions, not Chinese which is a better deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're using Hikvision NVR then I'd recommend DS-2CD2342FWD-I and I have things to compare to!

matt

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you going to get an NVR? How are you going to record.

Bigger doesn't always mean better for sensor, best to ignore that and just pick the correct models.

Dahua you should consider too.

Yes I will buy an NVR but will leave it for last as to knowwhich cameras I will buy first. I will have a loom at Dahua cameras too. Thanks

matt

n3wb
Reaction score
Dome's can give u IR bleed at night. And as a few others have posted on this forum, if they are in direct sunlight, the domes that cover are subject to degradation.

Have you considered the 4mm, 4MP HikVis turrets (DS-2CD2342FWD-I)? I have two so far and I love them. They are the EXIR model and although I have nothing to compare them to, they both work great for what I need them to do. I'm still tinkering with settings here and there (going slow due to work schedule) but you can adjust a lot to get a good picture.

They are a little more expensive on Amazon right now but if you keep an eye on them I'm sure the price will drop. I ordered mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago and they were $114 a piece and were the US versions, not Chinese which is a better deal.

Thanks for your reply. They sem to be quite good although a bit more expensive. I'll have a look at prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add another detail, the cameras will be installed on a vertical wall not to a ceiling.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Either DS-2CD2142FWD-I or DS-2CD2342FWD-I can be wall mounted.

Yes they cost more because they include 1) Tax/Duty/Shipping, 2) Local Guarantee/Warranty, 3) Firmware Updates if needed later, 4) They're metal rather than plastic.

Not like-for-like like-for like. Buy right, buy once.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. They sem to be quite good although a bit more expensive. I'll have a look at prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add another detail, the cameras will be installed on a vertical wall not to a ceiling.
How much are the 2142's where you are purchasing them? I'm just curious because I haven't found them to be cheaper then the turrets anywhere (4MP, 4mm model) and would consider one for indoor use.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How much are the 2142's where you are purchasing them? I'm just curious because I haven't found them to be cheaper then the turrets anywhere (4MP, 4mm model) and would consider one for indoor use.
Malta is in the EU, unless you fancy shipping that to the USA?

For indoors (and Hikviison) get either DS-2CD2542FWD-I or DS-2CD2432F-IW, the latter being much better IMHO.

matt

n3wb
Reaction score
Malta is in the EU, unless you fancy shipping that to the USA?

For indoors (and Hikviison) get either DS-2CD2542FWD-I or DS-2CD2432F-IW, the latter being much better IMHO.
Sorry fogot to mention that they will be installed outdoors. Shipping from US is very expensive and incur extra charges. Best option would be from UK or any EU member country. Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry fogot to mention that they will be installed outdoors. Shipping from US is very expensive and incur extra charges. Best option would be from UK or any EU member country. Thanks
Yeah UK might be cheaper but get the entire kit from the same seller at the same time. That way you 1) Know it all works and 2) You can get them to reduce the shipping charges.

matt

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah UK might be cheaper but get the entire kit from the same seller at the same time. That way you 1) Know it all works and 2) You can get them to reduce the shipping charges.

Yes that's what I had in mind. Can you suggest some turret or bullet cameras from Dahua? Important not to be Digital WDR. Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

matt

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.